I first ate Herzhafter Kaiserschmarrn at a hostel in Dresden, and I couldn't believe how simple and tasty it was. It is the ideal dish to share with friends in a cozy kitchen.

Herzhafter Kaiserschmarrn literally translates from German as "hearty emperor's mess" and it really heats up the room. Traditionally, Kaiserschmarrn is a sweet pancake filled with rum raisins that gets torn up in the pan. Nowadays, the filling can be anything from berries to nuts and jam depending on the region you are in. 

Kaiserschmarrn is the ultimate anti-food waste dish, as you can put in any vegetables you've got left over. Or try a sweet version by adding sugar, fruit, and nuts to the batter or serving it with some nice jam. If you want to spice it up a bit, simply add some paprika powder, garlic, or a pinch of chili.

• 200g whole wheat flour
  • 300ml milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 spring onions
  • 150g carrot
  • 150g corn
  • 100g cheese
  • 200ml yoghurt
  • A handful chives
  • Salt and pepper
egg
Wendy Nieuwkamer

Chop the chives and mix into the yoghurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Store until ready to serve.

herb, vegetable, chives, parsley
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Cut the spring onions into small pieces. Grate the carrots and cheese. Drain the corn.

vegetable, carrot
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Seperate the egg whites from the yolks.

egg
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Add the egg yolks to the flour and milk, mix well. Season with pepper and salt.

cream, milk, pudding, dairy product, sweet, white sauce, egg, batter, custard
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Beat the egg whites until you have fluffy peaks.

milk, cream, yogurt, pudding, dairy product, sweet, dairy
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Fold the egg whites into the flour mixture.

cream, milk, dairy product, egg, butter, flour
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Mix in the grated carrots, spring onions, corn, and cheese. Be careful not to stir out all the air.

vegetable, carrot, rice
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Fry the Kaiserschmarrn in a big frying pan. Turn regularly and cut into smaller pieces.

omelet
    Wendy Nieuwkamer

Serve the fresh Kaiserschmarrn with the yoghurt sauce.

vegetable, meat, scrambled, egg, chicken, sauce, rice
    Wendy Nieuwkamer