While you may be satisfied with a bacon butty or breakfast roll, pork buns will not only impress your taste bud but everyone else’s. Prepare to have your mind blown as this pork shoulder joint is roasted with just 3 ingredients and asks very little of you.

Although 2 hours can seem like an awfully long time to spend on a meal, this dish only needs your attention during the first and last 10 minutes of the time, allowing you to binge-watch your shows on Netflix while the pork does its own thing in the oven. By using Coca-Cola, it will allow you to cut away many ingredients for flavouring and balances out the salty flavour of the soy sauce.

Coca-Cola Roasted Pork Bao Bun

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:2 hours
  • Total Time:2 hours and 10 minutes

• 700g pork shoulder joint
  • 2 1/2 cup Coca-Cola
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 1/5 cup dark brown sugar
  • 8 plain non-filled bao buns
  • 1 packet of salad leaves
  • 4 spring onions (just the green part)
  • 3 chilis

Set the oven to 200°C.

Place the pork joint in a deep oven tray and pour in the coke, soy sauce and the brown sugar. Mix it well, then put it in the oven for 2 hours.

Photo by Yearin Cha

Wash up the salad, spring onions and chilies, then cut up the spring onions and chilies into small pieces

Steam the bao buns for 10 minutes (follow the instructions on the package).

Photo by Yearin Cha

Take the pork joint out and cut it up to slices

Stack the pork and vegetables inside the bao bun, and drizzle the liquid from the pork as the sauce.

Photo by Yearin Cha