Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
1 half-gallon whole milk
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup white rice flour
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, as needed
Rum, to taste (dark or light)
1. Pour whole milk into large pot and add cinnamon sticks.
2. Bring milk to a simmer, then remove from heat. Add to large bowl with condensed milk, rice flour and vanilla. Whisk well.
3. Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes. For thicker horchata, chill longer.
4. Remove from fridge and strain mixture into pitcher to remove rice flour clumps.
5. Pour horchata into ice-filled glasses. Add rum to taste (though more than two shots of rum may overpower horchata flavor).
6. Stir and garnish with ground cinnamon.