Your Taco Tuesday just got whole lot better with this recipe. This easy chicken enchilada casserole requires minimal effort but will taste like you've been slaving away in the kitchen for hours. It's perfect for a party or to keep all to yourself for leftovers throughout the week.

This spring break, I made a goal for myself to try one new recipe a day and this one is by far my favorite. I make dinner for my family every night when I'm home and sometimes they get annoyed by how healthy I try to make some of our meals, but everyone was impressed with this one. I was so happy to finally see my family enjoy my food as much as I always do!

Try making this easy chicken enchilada casserole during a hectic week and reheat it for a satisfying dinner later—that is, if there's anything left.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

• 9 corn tortillas
  • 14 oz can enchilada sauce
  • 5-6 chicken tenderloins
  • 1 block Monterey Jack or ColbyJack cheese
  • 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
  • 8 oz refried beans optional
chicken, burrito, salsa, guacamole, beans
Angela Kerndl

Cut each chicken tenderloin in half. Place the chicken in a pot and pour the enchilada sauce over. Cover the pot and let the chicken cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, use two forks to shred it.

pork, rice, chicken
    Angela Kerndl

Use about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce you used to cook the chicken in to cover the bottom of the dish. Then cover the dish with about 4 corn tortillas, or as many as you need to cover your entire pan.

sweet, vegetable, sauce, meat
    Angela Kerndl

Distribute the chicken evenly across the tortillas then sprinkle about half the cheese on top. Layer more tortillas and spread a thin layer of refried beans on top of the tortillas if you desire. Spread the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of that. Distribute the remaining chicken on top. Then sprinkle the crushed tortilla chips and the rest of the cheese over that.

pork, pepper, fried rice, chicken, cereal, meat, vegetable, rice
    Angela Kerndl

Place the baking dish in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is slightly browned. Serve with your choice of black beans, rice, guacamole, chips and salsa, etc.

meat, cheese, vegetable
    Angela Kerndl

This recipe was super tasty and incredibly simple to make. However, if you aren't 100% satisfied with how it turns out, I would recommend making your own enchilada sauce rather than trusting a store-bought version. 

The first time I made this enchilada casserole, it was decent, but not amazing or anything. I used Pueblo Lindo Red Enchilada Sauce from Aldi this time and the casserole turned out a million times better. So, I guess it all comes down to what kind of sauce you prefer/end up buying.  

If you need more enchiladas in your life, try this recipe to find out why enchiladas are better than tacos. And, be sure to check out the do's and don'ts of making red enchiladas to make sure your next Mexican dinner is up to par.