Beer, fried food and salsa.

It’s like a holy trinity of sorts and now it’s combined.

Deliciously crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and paired with cool and chunky salsa, here’s a recipe that will fast become a favorite for you and your friends.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Servings: 4

4 avocados
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup beer (I used Corona)
1 lime, cut in half
1 bag thin tortilla chips
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Cooking oil of your choice
Salt
Long bamboo skewers

1. Combine flour, egg, garlic powder, black pepper, beer, and juice from half a lime in a bowl to create batter. The batter should be the consistency of paste. If too thin, add more flour — too thick, add more beer.

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross

2. Peel, slice and skewer the avocados. Make the wedges large enough that the skewers won’t break them, but not too large that they won’t cook through. Make sure the skewers are inserted completely through the wedges.

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross

3. In a small bowl, crush up the bag of tortilla chips. They should be relatively small pieces, but not powder.

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross

4. Dip each avocado slice into the batter, coating completely, but not over-saturating. Immediately coat with tortilla chip pieces, lightly pressing down to make sure the pieces stick.

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross

5. Fill a small saucepan halfway with cooking oil. The oil should be deep enough to cover an entire avocado wedge.

6. Heat the oil to medium-high heat and, one by one, submerge the avocado wedges into the oil, allowing to cook for 30-45 seconds each, or until golden-brown. If you start to smell the oil burning, remove the pan from the burner and lower the heat. This smell may also be caused by pieces of batter breaking off in the oil and burning. You can scoop these out with a spoon. After each piece is cooked, set on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross

7. Once all the avocado slices are done, combine tomato, onion, cilantro and juice from the other half of the lime in a small bowl to make simple salsa. Salt and pepper to taste.

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross

8. Dip and enjoy! The fried avocado slices are fairly sturdy, so they will hold as much salsa as your heart desires. Snack until they’re gone!

avocado beer

Photo by Shafer Ross