Nothing says spring like budding flowers and bird’s nests full of eggs. Bring some color and warmth into your kitchen with these really simple bird’s nest treats. With only three ingredients, you’re only minutes away from a perfect spring themed sweet and salty snack. These also make great crowd pleasers for any Easter party. No birds or their nests were harmed in the making of these treats.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooling Time: 2-4 hours
Total Time: 2-4 hours and 15 minutes
1 bag mini Cadbury eggs
6 ounces (1/2 of a standard sized bag) chocolate chips
4 cups pretzels (we used mini twists)
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, stirring, until smooth. To make your own double boiler, place a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water and melt the chocolate inside the bowl. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each time.
- Break the pretzels into three or four pieces. If you break them into too small pieces, you won’t have nests.
- Mix the chocolate and the pretzels until all the pretzels are completely covered in chocolate. Ideally you want the pretzels to be covered in a thin layer of chocolate, not drenched. Add more pretzels if you can still see a pool of chocolate at the bottom of the bowl.
- Line a baking sheet or countertop with parchment paper and scoop the chocolate covered pretzels into small mounds. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a small well in the center of each mound.
- Gently arrange the Cadbury mini eggs in the well you just made. Be sure not to press too hard, or the nests will fall apart. If the eggs aren’t staying put, simply melt some more chocolate and dip a small section of the egg in the chocolate before positioning it on the pretzel piles.