Growing up, there was nothing better than waking at the crack of dawn to plop down in the living room with an overflowing bowl of sugary cereal to watch some cartoons on Saturday morning. Who says the sugar has to stop once we’re adults? We all need a nostalgia fix now and then. Get ready to relive the glory days of all-you-can-eat Lucky Charms, because we’re about to dive into the greatest cereal concoctions in the midwest.

Zombie Burger, located in Des Moines, IA, is a post-apocalyptic themed restaurant featuring unique burgers and our favorite…the cereal milkshakes. This city staple offers an energetic atmosphere with Dawn of the Dead vibes and an eclectic assortment of soul food.

If heaping piles of cereal amongst creamy ice cream (and marshmallow fluff) doesn’t sound good enough for you, we’re sure the option to spike your shake with various flavors of vodka or rum will do the trick. Though not all of Zombie Burger’s crazy milkshakes feature childhood classic cereals, they’re all bound to hit the spot.

Zombie Unicorn

Zombie Burger

Photo courtesy of Zombie Burger

Zombie Burger brings vanilla ice cream, gooey marshmallow fluff, and glorious heaps of Fruity Pebbles together to create this ultra tasty, über colorful treat. The name sets expectations; the shake delivers. Didn’t think this concoction could get any better? Fill ‘er up with some ThreeOlives Loopy to take it to the next level.

Tallahassee

Zombie Burger

Photo courtesy of Zombie Burger

This popular pick is loaded up with vanilla ice cream, blended cherries, a whole Twinkie, and cherry Kool-Aid powder. You may catch on to the subtle allusion to Zombieland’s Tallahassee, whose only goal during the zombie invasion was to track down a sweet, sweet Twinkie. Luckily, you won’t have to exert quite as much effort to get your hands on this tasty blend. If you need a little something extra, let Zombie Burger mix in some Smirnoff Vanilla to pack an even bigger punch.

ZB article - Tallahassee

Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Zombie Burger

Photo courtesy of Zombie Burger

To ~shake~ up this classic favorite, get into Zombie Burger to order up a tasty blend of vanilla ice cream and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Want to further spice up this cinnamon-y treat? Add a little bit of RumChata for a boozy trip down memory lane.

Crunch Berry

Zombie Burger

Photo courtesy of Zombie Burger

Cap’n Crunch introduced the Crunch Berries in 1967, and taste buds were never the same again. To give your taste buds what they want, stop in for your own mixture of vanilla ice cream and Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries, topped with a heaping pile of the latter. Colorful and delicious. The burger joint suggests adding some Smirnoff Vanilla to mix it up.

ZB article - Cap'n Crunch

Rice Krispie Treat

Zombie Burger

Photo courtesy of Zombie Burger

If the ultimate childhood snack is what you seek, let Zombie Burger mix up some vanilla ice cream, Rice Krispies, and marshmallow fluff to soothe your cravings. No ten-empty-wrappers guilt; no sticky fingers; all of the tastiness. To enjoy your Rice Krispies with all the glory of being an adult, Zombie Burger recommends adding a shot of Smirnoff Vanilla.

BONUS

Return To Horror High Burger

Zombie Burger

Photo courtesy of Zombie Burger

While you are at Zombie Burger testing out these delicious shakes, it is a must to try one of their unique burgers…like this school-lunch themed burger (#tbt). Zombie Burger’s Executive Chef Tom McKern created this throwback recipe consisting of homemade rectangle cheese pizza buns (a replication of the USDA pizza recipe from the early ‘90s), provolone, pizza sauce and pepperoni. Yum!

While this mouthwatering weekly special was only available for a limited time, Zombie Burger announces delicious new specials every week that always seem to be better than the last.

So next time you’re in the great city of Des Moines, make sure to check out Zombie Burger. You will not regret it! “Like” Zombie Burger on Facebook and follow on Instagram & Twitter to keep up with all of the happenings at your favorite Des Moines hot spot.

ZB article - take my money

*Please drink responsibly. If you’re in the mood to taste test each of the shakes con liquor, please find a DD. (And buy them a burger for compensation.)