You’ve probably found your local coffee spot in your college town and attend regularly to study or to have an excuse to get a pour over rather than a K-cup of coffee. But you can’t forget about your first coffee shop love; it’s sure to have something no other coffee shop could ever provide.

Kansas City

Photo courtesy of bdcoffeehouse.com

You’re going to want to spend your next break in Kansas City after this, and then you will be able to relate to the void I’m feeling. Blackdog Coffee House takes it to the next level by partnering with the next-door bakery, Ibis, to provide the most spectacular toast you will ever have in your life.

Kansas City

Photo courtesy of bdcoffeehouse.com

The bread is freshly baked. The toppings are homemade. The slices are cut inches thick. And it’s all made right in front of you. The options switch out on a daily basis so you just have to go back to try them all.

Kansas City

Photo by Emily Nicholson

Here’s the best part: they sell all of the breads and toast toppings so you can take them home with you. It’s not the same as sitting on a couch listening to live music in Blackdog, but it’s the closest this Kansas Citian can get to packing Blackdog up and bringing it to college.

Kansas City

Photo by Emily Nicholson