If you didn’t know it already, Pittsburgh was named Zagat’s top food city in the country. Pretty impressive, no? With that in mind, now is the best time to get out of Oakland and explore some oh-so-amazing places to get your grub on. There are tons of delicious spots all around the Pittsburgh area just waiting for you to stop in and see what the fuss is all about.

No car? No problem. I’m a firm believer in public transportation and I’m pretty sure after reading this list, I’ll turn you into one, too. Grab your Panther Card, head to the closest Port Authority bus stop, and get ready to explore.

The Commoner, Downtown

restaurants

Photo courtesy of @thecommonerpgh on Instagram

Bus to Take: Any 61 A-D or 67 & 69

Why It’s Worth the Ride: Probably one of the best places I’ve had dinner in PGH. This is a New American spot with amazing entrees like Shepherd’s pie, short ribs, and steak frites. If those aren’t enough to make your mouth water, The Commoner offers one of the most delectable desserts I’ve ever tasted—sticky toffee pudding. Seriously. The dessert is life-changing.

Avenue B, Shadyside

restaurants

Photo courtesy of @cbbonfili on Instagram

Bus to Take: 71A or 71C

Why It’s Worth the Ride: This BYOB restaurant in Shadyside is tiny on the inside but has absolutely huge flavor. Because parking around the area is scarce, hopping on the 71A is the best option to get here. The chef rotates a seasonal menu and always delivers on incredible dinner options like the Wagyu beef meatloaf and horseradish potato pierogis (a twist on the classic Pittsburgh staple). Make sure you get reservations ahead of time, because this place is always packed.

Tessaro’s, Bloomfield

restaurants

Photo courtesy of @jareddeannanich on Instagram

Bus to Take: 93

Why It’s Worth the Ride: Tessaro’s has a rep for crafting some of the biggest and best burgers in town. This old-school eatery whips up some massive patties that are perfectly cooked and topped with unreal condiments and toppings. If you want a good, greasy meal, Tessaro’s is your place.

Cure, Lawrenceville

restaurants

Photo courtesy of @curepittsburgh on Instagram

Bus to Take: 54C or 93

Why It’s Worth the Ride: Cure focuses on using locally-grown ingredients for its menu and, man, Pittsburgh has never tasted so good. Instead of creating your typical American dishes, Cure is all about Mediterranean-inspired plates. This place has a ridiculously good meat and cheese platter, as well as tons of yummy fish and meat options. Dig in!

Gaucho, Strip District

restaurants

Photo courtesy of @eat_gaucho on Instagram

Bus to Take: 54

Why It’s Worth the Ride: Gaucho is home to an Argentinian wood-fired grill, which just so happens to make some life-changing food (no, seriously). The first time I ate at Gaucho, I downed my gigantic carne sandwich in less than 2 minutes. It’s THAT good. Gaucho has sandwiches, salads, and steaks that are sure to please anyone. This place has become one of PGH’s best restaurants, and with good reason.

Dish Osteria, South Side

restaurants

Photo courtesy of @gigs412 on Instagram

Bus to Take: 83 or 81

Why It’s Worth the Ride: Amid all of the bars and clubs in South Side, Dish is a small Italian spot with incredibly fresh and tasty meals. If you’re in search of a pasta or carb fix (like I always am), Dish has got you covered. Ride down East Carson Street to find this little, romantic gem.