In the era of food trucks and cronuts, Latin/Asian fusion was born. Some beautiful genius had the idea of combining the East and the West into mouth-watering tacos and burritos filled with meats and vegetables inspired by Asian flavors.

Taqueria Tsunami is Athens’ ode to this glorious food trend. The coolest feature of this restaurant is that they donate a portion of their proceeds to tsunami relief and natural disaster efforts around the world. Have a great meal and save the world at the same time? Hell yeah.

fusion

Photo by Jane Mo

So, if you’ve never dabbled in the beauty of fusion food, try these out:

Shrimp Tempura Taco

fusion

Photo by Jane Mo

This dish contains shrimp fried in batter, topped with Asian slaw and fresh cilantro. The heavy goodness of the tempura and the freshness of the slaw is a seriously magical combination.

Two Tacos + Side = Tsunami Trio ($8.75)
Three Tacos + Side= The Quatro ($11.25)

I have a big appetite, so I was afraid that two little tacos wouldn’t fill me up, but trust me, these bad boys will satisfy your stomach and taste buds in all sorts of ways.

There’s a variety of sides including garbanzo bean salad, fried yucca, and jalapeño cheese tots. I love how tater tots are making a come back in the restaurant scene.

Say goodbye to fries, and get ready to embrace these crunchy, texture-filled potato sacks of love into your arms. The steaming hot jalapeño cheese is also the best thing you could ever dip your tots into.

Short Rib Quesadilla

fusion

Photo by Jane Mo

These tender short ribs are soaked in Korean inspired BBQ sauce with grilled onions and ooey-gooey cheese.

I’m Korean, and I can say with full confidence that this sauce is the real deal. #2Legit2quit

fusion

Photo by Jane Mo

The place doesn’t just serve fabulous food. It’s just fabulous in general. The design of the restaurant has a very modern yet rustic appeal.

However, the real hidden gem is actually outside of the restaurant, where the patio is decorated with strings of lights. It’s kinda sorta gorgeous. Perfect for date nights and girls’ nights out.

Good vibes + good food.

Want to learn more about Asian-fusion around the nation? Check these out: