Any fellow bulldog can agree that we have some pretty unique qualities at Bryant. Only one academic building, a real live bulldog mascot named Tupper, a super involved President and First Lady, and enough academic accolades to overwhelm you show that our little Rhode Island school means business (literally).

What is SIE at Bryant?!

The study abroad program, ranked 9th nationally, is one of the best aspects of Bryant. Sophomore International Experience is a large reason why that ranking is so high. It’s a ten day trip for sophomores only, over winter or summer break. It also counts as three credits. You can get ahead academically and still have the time of your life.

I was told to apply for SIE by a friend and fellow Spoonie, and it was the best decision I ever made. I’d never been out of the country, and I was skeptical about a full semester abroad, so I saw SIE as the perfect opportunity. I’m not going to lie, trying different cuisines was huge a reason why I was so excited for the trip.

The Winter Session of SIE included trips to Chile/Argentina, Italy, Germany/Spain, China and Malaysia/Singapore. Here are some mouth watering pictures in case you need some convincing to apply for the best ten days of your life:

Chile and Argentina

Bryant

Photo by Chelsea Doucette

Over the ten days, students traveled around Viña del Mar, Chile, rode horses in Buenos Aires, Argentina, explored the Andes Mountains, and so much more. They also ate incredible cuisine influenced by European roots. Typical meals usually included a meat, like steak or seafood. A surprising twist was the pasta, stemming from Italian roots. Most meals were accompanied by Quilmes, a popular beer in Argentinian culture.

Bryant

Photo by Chelsea Doucette

Italy

Bryant

Photo by Colleen Sheedy

Students who traveled to Italy were able to experience the beautiful architecture in Florence, like The Duomo – and they wished for Paulo at the Trevi Fountain in Rome. You can probably guess what they ate just about every day: gluten. Main food groups were pizza, pasta, and bread on the trip, but not the Americanized stuff – true Italian cuisine. Oh, and wine at every meal, of course.

Bryant

Photo by Colleen Sheedy

Germany and Spain

Bryant

Photo by Dani Crepeau

Germany and Spain students drank beer at Hofbräuhaus München, toured the city of Seville on bikes, ate pizza bigger than their heads in Austria, and took selfies on the Austrian Alps, just to name a few adventures. They ate sausages, cheesy soups, and washed it all down with genuine Spanish sangria.

Bryant

Photo by Dani Crepeau

China

Bryant

Photo by Ali Feehan

Bryant Sophomores visited temples in Shanghai, climbed the Great Wall of China, and went to the Bryant University at Zuhai. They experienced Chinese food for what is truly is – not the stuff we eat here in the States. Students ate fried rice with vegetables, miso soups, sugar-flamed strawberries, and roasted duck.

Bryant

Photo by Ali Feehan

Malaysia and Singapore

Bryant

Photo by Erin Davis

I saved the best for last, of course. Just kidding – but this is the trip I went on, so I’m a little biased. Throughout our ten days, we explored Buddhist temples, played with monkeys, climbed 300 steps to the largest natural lime caves, and rode the Singapore Flyer. The cuisine is inspired by Chinese and Indian roots, so curries were very prominent. We ate a lot of rice and noodles, including a banana leaf lunch where we ate everything with our hands. We sipped on fresh pressed fruit juices and jalapeño margaritas. To say I miss it is an understatement!!

Bryant

Photo by Erin Davis

I can’t really say anything negative about the program – other than it should be longer! The ten days go by so fast, but it’s all worth it. If you’re going to be a sophomore next fall, I highly recommend you apply for the Sophomore International Experience. You’ll make new friends, create life long memories, explore some of the coolest spots this world has to offer, and stuff your face with genuine, local, delicious food. Is there anything better?!