I’m not going to lie – if you told me salad would be one of my favorite foods before I started college, I would have never believed you. But now I live in the wonderful city of D.C., which honestly could be called the city of salads. If you’re looking for a place to spark your love for salad, I recommend you check out Devon & Blakely, Jetties, or SweetGreen.

I decided that I wanted to try out all these different places and determine which was my personal favorite. I’m a pretty picky eater, and especially picky with my salad. After eating at all three of these places, I complied a list of the pros and cons and decided which place I liked the best.

I ordered the same salad at all three of these places: romaine lettuce, turkey, mozzarella cheese, raisins, egg, walnuts and Caesar dressing. Here is what I found…

Price Point

At all three of these places my salad was a different price.
Devon & Blakely = $8.50
SweetGreen = $10.60
Jetties = $10.75
Now I know my salads tend to be expensive because of the turkey and egg. All three of these places charged me extra for double protein. The biggest difference in price was Devon & Blakely. Regarding price, they are the clear standout.

salad

Photo by Nicole Jaeckel

Lettuce

All three salad places had a pretty wide selection of types of lettuce. SweetGreen was the stand out when it came to lettuce options. They offered romaine, spinach, arugula, mesclun, and kale. Jetties and Devon & Blakely only had two options, mixed greens or romaine.

salad

Photo by Nicole Jaeckel

Toppings

I did not find a shortage of topping options at any of these places. Devon & Blakely, SweetGreen, and Jetties all had everything I was looking for. They had great selections of protein, cheeses, fruit, and nuts. The only difference I found was that Jetties had a ‘crunchy’ option. They had a wide selection of croutons, crunchy noodles, and crackers to add to your salad which I did not find at SweetGreen or Devon & Blakely.

Extras Extras Extras

Extras are important, especially when you’re paying around $9 for a salad. Both SweetGreen and Devon & Blakely includes bread with their salads, Jetties does not. However, Jetties gives out a free fountain drink when you pay with a GWorld. Because of this, all three places came out about even here.

salad

Photo by Nicole Jaeckel

Overall, my personal favorite salad was from Devon & Blakely. Besides the fact that it was the cheapest, I found that it was the freshest and tasted the best. Devon & Blakey lets you pick your own lettuce, which made a big difference to me. I also like bread with my salad, so that is an essential addition. While Devon & Blakely may be my personal favorite, I don’t think you can go wrong getting a salad from any of these places.