In today’s age of hybrid pastries and one-item restaurants, it can be hard to guess what chefs and restaurateurs will come up with next. Based on recent news coming out of the East Village, the latest of these ventures is Empire Biscuit, a nondescript biscuit emporium that will be open 24 hours a day starting on November 5th.

empire biscuit

Photo by Caty Schnack

Opened by two friends— Jonathan Price and NYU alum Yonadav Tsuna—New York’s first and only biscuit shop aims to serve all ages at all times of the day. Though early buzz led to an overwhelming demand on opening day, the shop regrouped for a grand opening this Sunday before launching service 24/7.

Simple and straightforward, the menu at Empire Biscuit allows customers to customize their own biscuit or choose from a list of “Meant For Each Other” combinations. In addition to the homemade biscuits and spreads, the shop also serves coffee from Blue Bottle and Empire Cola, a refreshing spiced cola that is made in-house.

empire biscuit

Photo by Caty Schnack

While the owners highly recommend their biscuit-ized version of the classic Muffaletta sandwich, the list of delicious combinations is nearly endless. For breakfast at any time of day, the Benton’s bacon, egg and cheddar – with a perfectly cooked egg and melted cheese – is a delicious and filling option, though the bacon borders on overly fatty (not that anyone cares when they’re drunk or hungover).

empire biscuit

Photo by Caty Schnack

While the set combinations are a great way to experience Empire’s biscuits, there is nothing like customizing your own biscuit. Customers who choose the custom biscuit select either country style or all butter and choose one option from the column of butters and spreads and jams, jellies and marmalades. With a mixture of sweet and savory options—think foie gras, chocolate & caraway butter and pumpkin pie spread—it can be difficult to choose only one option from each column. That being said, it is hard to go wrong with the combo of spiced, candied pecan butter and black grape jam on the country style biscuit—a tasty riff on the classic PB&J that is great at any time of day.

empire biscuit

Photo by Caty Schnack

Despite their struggle to keep up with the early demand, Empire Biscuit is turning out high quality treats that should only get better as time goes on. For breakfast, lunch, dinner or a drunk snack, this East Village newcomer is the place to go for great biscuits at all hours.

empire biscuit

Photo by Caty Schnack

cheap

Location: 198 Avenue A (bet 12th and 13th)
Hours of Operation: 24/7