It might be blasphemous to suggest this, but Ramen Tatsu-ya is not the only ramen restaurant in Austin. Michi Ramen, my current go-to restaurant, has a somewhat dingy decor but the ramen and tempura are delicious enough to distract me from the beige walls and nondescript chairs. Here’s why you should try Michi Ramen the next time you’re craving some Japanese comfort food.

The Options:

Michi Ramen has seven (yes, seven) different types of ramen to choose from. The trademark Michi ramen has Chashu pork slices, woodear mushrooms, green onion and roasted nori (seaweed). The contrast between the absolutely perfect noodles, the sweetness of the mushrooms and the subtle flavoring of the nori was enough to send me into an immediate food coma. Other ramens include the regionally-inspired Texas ramen (smoked BBQ pork ribs, vinegar slaw and a tomato-based broth), a vegetarian option and the Meat Lover (extra pork).

michi-1

Photo by Gabby Phi

Michi also has a wide selection of add-ons so you can go a little crazy. Try personalizing your ramen bowl by adding toppings like ajitima (a soft-boiled egg), extra pork slices, steamed fishcakes, bamboo and veggies. Michi also has options for broth thickness: light, regular and stout. Obviously, you’ll have to go at least three or four times so you can try everything.

The Chashu Pork:

michi-3

Photo by Gabby Phi

Just trust me. No really, trust me—the slices are the most tender and flavorful pieces of pork you’ll probably eat this year.

The Sides:

Like its ramen menu, Michi’s sides are just as varied. Dishes include seaweed salad, edamame, gyoza, rice dishes and tempura. The entrée-sized chicken tempura is served in bite-sized pieces with a dipping sauce. The batter is crisp and light, perfect for balancing out the heavy richness of your ramen.

_DSC9444

Photo by Karina Rao

The gyoza (pan-fired dumplings with pork, chive and cabbage) is good but solidly mediocre. The pork was overground and overwhelmed by the cabbage. Stick to the ramen or tempura if you decide to eat here.

_DSC9434

Photo by Karina Rao

Michi also has a take out option for those of you who want to eat ramen in the peace and comfort of your own home. Stripped down but delicious, Michi should be on your list of go-to ramen places.

average

Location: 6519 N. Lamar Blvd. Austin, TX 78752
Hours: Tues-Sat 11am-12pm