The cupcake craze has been in full swing for a couple of years and it’s safe to say that we’ve all had our fair share—especially here in DC. There comes a time in all of our lives when we decide its time to branch out and try something new. This is where Bakers and Baristas, a new bakery in Penn Quarter, comes in. Just as sweet and equally as satisfying as a our favorite cupcakes, the Viennese danishes and brioche pastries (while looking different from our usual American desserts) might just be the best thing you’ve ever tasted.

The owner, Aaron Gordon, worked with pastry chef Naomi Gallego from D.C.’s renowned Blue Duck Tavern (a DC hotspot) to come up with the menu. Lindsay Meehan, the pastry chef at Red Velvet Cupcakery, Gordon’s other bakery, is now the head chef at Bakers and Baristas. We know the foreign looking (and sounding) pastries might scare some people off, but we’re here to help you navigate it all—because trust us, you don’t want to miss out.

What to Eat

1. Butterkuchen

Bakers and Baristas

Photograph by Hanna Cunningham

This brioche pastry is fluffy and flavorful, and the toasted almonds on top add the perfect crunch. The rich custard layered throughout makes the whole thing that much more decadent. These are undoubtedly one of the best items you’ll find in the bakery—and this Washington Post article agrees.

2. Citrus Streusel Bun

Bakers and Baristas

Photograph by Hanna Cunningham

B&B’s citrus streusel bun boasts a citrusy, orange custard that’s sandwiched between two brioche buns. The buns are made of dough similar to the Butterkuchen. The custard—rich, yet light at the same time—is what sets this pastry apart from the rest.

3. Fruit Tart

Bakers and Baristas

Photograph by Hanna Cunningham

This is definitely the most beautiful pastry of all. The thick chocolate filling is surrounded by a light, doughy crust, and the glistening layer of strawberries on top make the fruit tart almost too pretty to eat…almost. If you’re feeling adventurous and want to make your own fruit tart, check out this recipe here.

4. Blueberry Envelope

Bakers and Baristas

Photograph by Hanna Cunningham

The “envelope” is a danish that has a delicious, slightly chunky blueberry filling. The pastry itself is very flaky and sweet, but not so sweet that you could’t eat it all (and then some more) at breakfast.

5. Zucker Brotchen

Bakers and Baristas

Photograph by Hanna Cunningham

Don’t let it fool you, this brioche bun is little but mighty. The jam and butter that come with it take the flavor to another level, but the soft, moist dough is what really makes it.  And to top it all off, there’s a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top.

What to Drink

1. Mocha

Bakers and Baristas serves an extra chocolatey mocha that’ll give you that caffeine kick to keep you going all day long. Made with espresso from Compass Coffee, this drink is sure to please.

2. Cappucino

Extra frothy and delicious, the cappuccino is yet another way to try the delicious Compass Coffee. It has an earthy and natural taste that makes it pretty darn unique.

3. Chai Latte

If you’re looking for a little something different than your typical cup o’ joe, try this slightly spiced beverage. The chai doesn’t discriminate—it will go well with any of the pastries.

4. Hot Chocolate

Not interested in caffeine today? Grab some chocolate to go with your pastries. Hot chocolate never hurt anyone, especially paired with some brioche on a cold DC day.

cheap

Location: 510 7th St., NW

Hours: 7am- 6pm, 7am-11pm starting February 5