Specialty Coffee Shops in Ann Arbor are like pumpkin spice in the fall – everywhere. Step away from chains like Starbucks and Espresso Royale and into one of these awesome stores.

1. Mighty Good Coffee

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

The coffee at Mighty Good is exactly as the name suggests. Masters of various brewery styles, even a plain cappuccino tastes incredible. Still, I favor their brown sugar sea salt latte – both interesting and delicious.

2. Café Verde

coffee

Photo By Olivia Preissle

Café Verde is connected to The Food Co-Op in Kerrytown. Their specialty? Everything served there is free trade, organic, and delicious. I recommend any of their mochas – that’s where the creativity lies. Chocolate, coffee, and orange zest? Yes please. 

3. Zingerman’s Next Door

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

Next door to the Deli, that is. The Next Door Coffeehouse boasts not only coffee and tea, but pastries and gelato, all up to the amazing quality associated with Zingerman’s. I recommend the Café de Olla. It’s a latte with a kick in the form of a spicy-sweet syrup made in-house with cinnamon, molasses, brown sugar, and cloves.

4. The Espresso Bar

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

Tea and books are often tied together, but what about books and coffee? The Espresso Bar, above Literati Bookstore, nestles in with all the beautiful new hardcovers. The baristas pride themselves on their relationship with their customers – if you order “for here,” they’ll deliver your drink right to your table, and even stop to chat.

5. Lab Café

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

The mood in Lab Café falls somewhere between classy vintage and cozy hipster, perfect for Ann Arbor. The coffee is delicious, with a favored drip-coffee method, but the syrups are to die for. Their Lavender Honey Latte is as tasty as it is unusual.

6. Sweetwaters

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

Of all the coffee shops in Ann Arbor, Sweetwaters probably has the most variety in their menu. 1/3 Coffee, 1/3 tea, and 1/3 blended drinks such as their signature Ice Dragons make Sweetwaters ideal for both the coffee lover and those who prefer drinks with a less bitter base. I personally recommend the Crème Caramel–which is essentially a coffee-caramel dessert in a cup–but their house blend Ginger Lemon Tea comes in as a close second.

7. Shinola Coffee Bar — Commonwealth Coffee

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

Walking in to Shinola, known for its beautiful craftmanship and metal, leather, and wood feel, you wouldn’t expect to find a coffee bar. However, the coffee shop fits right in, and the baristas really know their stuff–the one who I spoke to led me into a long conversation about the quality and origin of coffee beans. I would definitely relinquish control and let the barista recommend which coffee blend to try there.

8. Comet Coffee

coffee

Photo by Olivia Preissle

Comet Coffee, cozily sheltered in Nickel’s arcade, puts time and care into their customers. They brew each cup of coffee specially for each order, and offer a variety of beans to chose from. Their menu is short and sweet, and they make great latte art.

From a simple cup of coffee to a fancy latte and everything in between, these stores are sure to take your taste buds on a journey. Ann Arbor is famous for its amazing food, and these eight coffee shops shouldn’t be overlooked.