1. Talented and hot chef. The Gaslight is Chef Jason Chichonski’s casual gastropub in Old City. Beyond the fact that he’s extremely talented (he’s the chef of Ela and a former contestant on Top Chef), he’s also extremely good looking. Supporting his talent and his good looks is definitely one reason to visit.

2. Minimal wait. The restaurant flaunts an airy 100 seat dining room meaning that you’re pretty much guaranteed to get in without a wait. Basically when you head to Gaslight, you get to avoid the line at Sabrina’s or Green Eggs Cafe and ensure yourself a faster hangover relief.

The Gaslight

Photo by Amanda Shulman

3. Equal breakfast and lunch options. Brunch at The Gaslight is a mixing affair in the best way. The menu has just as many offerings geared towards breakfast (egg-based dishes plus various waffles and toasts) as geared towards lunch (think unique plays on sandwiches and small plates). Win by grabbing a little bit of both.

4. The pickled vegetable plate. It’s great enough to deserve its own bullet point. The plate comes as a board of shot glasses with various seasonal offerings —buttery, vinegary mushrooms and slivers of pickled eggplant were the stars of the board this time around. Expect unique items you wouldn’t necessarily think would work pickled, then gladly watch as you’re proven wrong.

The Gaslight

Photo by Amanda Shulman

5. Solid and unique egg dishes. The eggs front proves strong, moving beyond the classic offerings in favor of trendier twists. A heaping plate of crab Benedict features poached eggs over crab cakes with a Old Bay hollandaise sauce. The eggs centers are bright and jiggly, and while the crab cakes are slightly mushy, their flavor is on par. The farmer’s skillet (three sunny side up eggs baked with an assortment of seasonal toppings) is another strong player. On the egg sandwich side, consider the fried chicken and biscuit sandwich. The biscuits are buttery and slightly crisp, and the scrambled eggs are super fluffy. Beware, however, that the fried chicken lacks a little crunch.

The Gaslight

Photo by Amanda Shulman

6. Proximity to Franklin Fountain. You might not think you have room for dessert, but I assure you that you are more than capable of sucking down a fabulous sundae from the old fashioned ice cream parlor that conveniently sits around the corner. You can’t go wrong with any ice-cream choice, so don’t let the overwhelming menu stress you out too much.

average

Location: 120 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19106

Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 5pm-2am, Sat-Sun: 11am-2am