If you're an absolute Chipotle fiend like I am, you might be looking for new ways to change up your order just so you can experience the whole width and breadth of the fast-casual restaurant. Fortunately, today marks a big day for you as Chipotle just announced that their Carne Asada protein is finally back for a limited time. First introduced to the menu in 2019 and re-emerging for a brief time in 2020, the protein almost instantaneously solidified itself as a fan-favorite. With their Chicken Al Pastor on its way out, it's only fair that something just as delicious, if not more so, take its place. With customers absolutely devastated that this chicken option is off the table, the restaurant just might keep that and the Carne Asada in an ever-revolving door of limited-time options. While I am a fan of traditional Carne Asada from local Mexican restaurants, this Chipotle Carne Asada is a fabulous choice for those who are always on the go, on a budget, or don't have access to traditional local eateries. Here's everything you need to know about Chipotle's new Carne Asada.  

Photo via Chipotle

What does the Carne Asada at Chipotle taste like?

Carne Asada is often made with slices of skirt steak or flank steak and gets its delicious flavor from a carefully curated marinade. 

Following marination, Chipotle grills their Carne Asada with cumin, coriander, oregano, lime juice, and cilantro. In fact, my favorite part of my sampling was the intense lime flavor. At any authentic Mexican restaurant, I always ask for an extra lime wedge with my meals, because I simply can't get enough of that fresh-squeezed juice. 

Normally, my Chipotle protein order includes chicken or black beans. I very rarely choose red meat. However, this limited-time offering is divine, with its salt and citrus-forward flavor and ability to pair perfectly with the company's trademark flowing sour cream. I will definitely be grabbing this for a quick lunch and a protein fix before it leaves the menu again. 

Photo via Chipotle

What are some good Carne Asada combos at Chipotle?

If you want to order the new menu item but need some guidance for pairings, Chipotle’s Head Chef Nevielle Panthaky recommends the Carne Asada Fajita Quesadilla with sides of cilantro lime white rice, black beans, and sour cream for dipping.

Personally, I inhaled my burrito bowl piled high with white rice, corn salsa, black beans, sour cream, and cheese. 

The best part is that there is truly no way to go wrong. If you're a red meat lover, double up your protein. You won't regret it for even a second unless you hate lime. If you hate lime, you probably should try a different protein. 

Can I order Chipotle Carne Asada on the app?

Yes, you can order the Chipotle Carne Asada on the restaurant's app and through their website. In fact, you can also get free delivery in celebration of the new menu item. From September 14 to October 1, your Carne Asada delivery fees will be waived through the Chipotle app and website.

Additionally, while you can get Carne Asada in-store for tacos, bowls, and burritos, you will have to order through Chipotle's site or app to pick up your own quesadillas or fajita quesadillas. You will definitely want to try a fajita quesadilla ASAP.