After stumbling upon multiple articles that singer Mariah Carey eats only purple foods three days a week, I knew I had to give the unusual diet a shot. I am always trying to incorporate new foods into my meals, and because the purple diet focuses on whole fruits and vegetables (like eggplants, cabbage, and grapes) it seemed that this could be a sustainable and healthy way to add some variety to my meal routine.

Purple foods are lauded for the multitude of health benefits they provide. These pretty eats can decrease inflammation, are rich in antioxidants, and can reduce the risks of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. Excited to see what Mariah was up to, I set out on a purple-food shopping spree to get ready for the day.

Breakfast

Morgan Bird

At 7:30 am, I loaded the blender with mixed berry Greek yogurt, a cup of frozen blackberries, and a cup of frozen dark cherries. As someone who has never mastered the art of using a blender, I wouldn't go so far to say that my concoction was a "smoothie." Instead, I pretended the cold yogurt with chunks of fruit was a frozen dessert and called it good. To my surprise, it tasted delicious, but I was not sure if the yogurt's protein was going to make it until lunch.

Verdict: Delicious and refreshing, but definitely going to be hangry in, like, one hour.

Mid-Morning Snack

Two hours post-breakfast, I started getting one of my "I need protein so bad that I can't even function" headaches. The smoothie just wasn't enough after being accustomed to my usual high calorie, high carb, and protein-packed breakfasts (shoutout to RX Bars, overnight oats, and protein shakes). I decided to have another berry Greek yogurt for a mid-morning snack, which hit the spot. Fingers crossed it will hold me over until lunch...

Verdict: It is not even 10 am, and my mind is already slipping into a dark void of hunger. I definitely could not do this on a day when I have class.

Lunch

Morgan Bird

Plot twist! Purple wax beans turn green after being cooked! Lunch was enjoyable, but Mariah, where do you get your protein girl? And that's coming from a vegetarian!

The purple wax beans, roasted purple sweet potato, carrots, onion, and plum all tasted great, but the real test will be if they will be enough fuel for my workout this afternoon. I have had a good mix of fruits, veggies, and carbs today, but I still feel like the protein just is not there.

Verdict: Digging the veggies, but I could really go to town on a protein bar right now. I wonder if it would count if I put purple food coloring on it... 

Afternoon Snack

After my workout, I could not tell if I was hungry, tired, cranky, or all of the above, but I knew I really needed a snack. I grabbed a handful of the leftover frozen blackberries and cherries from this morning and couldn't believe how refreshing and tart they tasted. I even went back to the freezer for seconds!

Verdict: Hangry and starting to get a migraine, but 10/10 recommend frozen purple fruits for a snack.

Dinner

Morgan Bird

I spent a little under an hour prepping eggplant, onion, and bell pepper lettuce wraps and carrot fries for family dinner, but after I sat down at the table, I could not eat one more purple food. It was not happening. I desperately craved a peanut butter-chocolate protein bar and an apple, and alas, that's exactly what I ate. 

Verdict: Ten hours of hangry, purple-food eating was not even close to worth it. Mariah, I don't know how you do it. 

Final Thoughts

Morgan Bird

Eating only purple foods is by no means a sustainable diet, but there were some positive takeaways from the experience. Back on campus, I am definitely going to try to incorporate purple foods into my meals, especially frozen berries and purple wax beans. The multitude of health benefits these colorful foods provide are legitimate, but they are not the only foods that are good for you. Balance and variety is key! These pretty eats will be featured in many of my meals, but they will be accompanied by protein and multi-colored sides.

The low protein intake from today still has me feeling cranky and hungry, so I will definitely be waking up for a midnight snack (and it is not going to be purple).