If you're like me, you can never remember when the Caf closes on weekends (or where to find food after you miss it). Or maybe when you want a quick snack, you just don't know where to go. Luckily, I've done my research and compiled an easy-to-read overview of all the on-campus cafés at Biola. Whether you're on the go or down to relax, there's an eatery for every mood and occasion.
Café Biola (aka "the Caf")
As Biola's only official dining hall, the Caf is probably your main experience with food here. With dedicated staff and a unique menu, it serves up variety and reliability.
Menu: Buffet-style meals such as sandwiches, salads, pizza, pasta and stir-fry. Drinks and desserts are also included.
- Monday to Thursday: 7 a.m. — 7:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. — 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m., 5:00 p.m. — 6:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 7:30 a.m. — 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. — 7 p.m.Price range: Breakfast: $6.14, Lunch: $7.77, Dinner: $8.91 (You're better off just swiping in.)
Eagles' is nice when you want a break from the Caf. Located next to the SUB and the student store, you can pick up a hot meal here for an affordable price. It's usually bustling during the day but offers quiet evenings.Menu: Burgers, Mexican food, Grab 'n' Go premade foods (Wednesdays now feature a fresh salad bar!) Hours:
- Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. — 1. a.m. (only Grab 'n' Go after 9 p.m.)
- Friday: 8 a.m. — 7 p.m.
- Saturday: 11:30 a.m. — 5 p.m.
- Sunday: 5 p.m. — 11 p.m.Price range: $3 — $8
Common Grounds has a lively coffee shop atmosphere. It's a great place to warm up and stop for a drink. The mid-campus location is also convenient, right next to Eagles' Nest and the student store.Menu: Coffee, tea, blended drinks and breakfast foods
- Monday to Friday: 7:30 a.m. — 1 a.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. — 12 a.m.
- Sunday: 6 p.m. — 12 a.m.
Price range: $1.50 — $5 per drink
Best for: Late nights (like after Singspiration) or studying in a busy atmosphere.
The Talon can be found on the side of the business building. It's a small place for a quick bite, with coffees and drinks also available.Menu: Premade Grab 'n' Go options including salads, soup, burritos and sandwiches as well as a full coffee menu. Hours:
- Monday to Thursday: 7:30 a.m. — 10 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. — 5 p.m.Price range: $1.50 — $5 for drinks; $3 — $7 for food
Best for: Getting a fast meal between classes. I always get the meal exchange here!
The Soaring Eagle
The Soaring Eagle is Biola's very own food truck, located just outside of Sutherland. Recently, its focus has shifted to healthy eating — so while it may not be the greasy food truck grub you've been craving, it offers a light and flavorful snack or meal.Menu: Tacos with beef, grilled fish, tofu or chicken and custom-order fries. (They no longer serve rice and noodle dishes.) Hours:
- Monday to Thursday: 11:30 a.m. — 7 p.m.
- Friday: 11:30* a.m. — 2 p.m.Price range: $1 — $3 per taco
Best for: Eating outside on clear days. There's a lot of outdoor seating nearby around Sutherland.
Hours: They stay open as long as the library for your convenience!
- Monday to Thursday: 7:30 a.m. — 1 a.m.
- Friday: Grab 'n' Go from 7:30 a.m. — 7 p.m.
- Saturday: Grab 'n' Go from 10 a.m. — 8 p.m.
- Sunday: Grab 'n' Go from 12 p.m. — 1 a.m.Price range: $1.50 — $8 (Fresh juices go for $5 — $6, bowls are $7 — $8)
Best for: Wholesome pick-me-ups and late study sessions. The interior feels pretty trendy and spirited, while the outdoor seating is usually peaceful. The meal exchange here is usually light and better as a snack.
Blackstone Café is a bit of a hidden gem and my personal favorite. Tucked into the side of Blackstone Hall, it's a long walk for lower campus dwellers — but in my opinion, it's well worth it for its unique and filling flavors.Menu: Coffee/tea, hot breakfast foods, poke bowl, shave ice, crepes and a mini grocery store
- Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. — 10 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.Price range:$1.50 — $5 for drinks; $3 — $11 for food
Best for: Fun breakfasts or quiet study times in an open setting. After studying, you can reward yourself with those delectable crepes.