I spent this past summer working at a donut shop as a "donut dipper". Ever wonder who dips the donuts into the flavorful glazes and sweet toppings? Well I'm your girl. I learned a lot of valuable information working at the donut shop about the art of donut dipping, the donut industry, and the entire food industry itself, but these are the nine that stuck out to me most.

Presentation is everything

cake, sprinkles, candy, chocolate, pastry, sweet, doughnut
Sara Tane

Before customers would devour their delicious donuts, I would always see them taking photos of their boxes. Who wants to see messy, unappetizing donuts on their feed? Not me. From dipping them in the glazes, to sprinkling on the toppings, there is a technique required to make these donuts so aesthetically pleasing. It became my goal working as a donut dipper to make the prettiest, most satisfying donuts so that customers would open the lid and feel that their donuts were worthy of an Instagram post. Food is art! 

Donuts Should Be Their Own Food Group

No matter the time of day or how bad the weather was, dedicated foodies never missed out on their shot at getting some delicious donuts. One morning I was scheduled to work it was pouring rain and the streets were completely flooded. I figured no one would be crazy enough to go out in this weather for some donuts. Yet when I walked in at 8am, there was a line already out the door. Yes, customers were standing outside IN the rain waiting for their donuts. 

Never judge a customer for the toppings they put on their donut

I learned pretty quickly that people like to make their own donut combinations; some of which sound pretty disgusting–to me at least. While I can't support putting bacon on a donut, that's just how some people flow. The most creative one I ever made was a plain donut with coffee flavored glaze and cinnamon sugar, Oreos, and bacon on top. I learned to appreciate the creativity and courage of these customers to make these interesting creations, something that I never had the guts to do. 

Hot donuts fresh out of the fryer will burn your fingertips off

There is no better feeling than picking up a donut fresh out of 375 degree oil. Yeah, no one has ever said this. I can guarantee you I lost at least five layers of skin and had calluses on my fingertips by the end of August. But when you have sixty donuts to dip and only two hands, I learned that I'd rather have burnt fingers than hangry customers losing it on me. 

People do not tip donut dippers very well

You would hope that when customers see donut dippers with ten boxes stacked in front of them, running to throw the donuts in the glazes, they would think, "Oh, they look so busy let me tip them a little extra for their handwork." Not only would most customers not throw a little extra in the tip bucket, but some wouldn't leave anything at all. I just hand-dipped two dozen donuts for you while you watched my every move, but sure, don't tip me. Unfortunately, people working in the restaurant industry experience this often, and it is not cool. 

Greasy donut stench does not go away

As soon as I would walk through the door after work, my family would shout, "I smell donuts!" No, I didn't bring them home donuts, that was just me they smelled. Being in a hot bakery all day with no ventillation made it very difficult to wash the oil smell out of my work uniform. I didn't get the luxury of smelling like the delicious strawberry glazed donuts. Instead I smelled like a burnt donut.  

I can never eat a donut cold again

Once you've eaten a donut after it's dropped out of the fryer, you can't eat one any other way. There is simply no other way to eat them in my book. Imagine a hot donut, with vanilla glaze, and melted chocolate chips. Are you hungry yet? Donuts sitting cold and sitting on shelves simply do not have the same effect as a hot donut. 

People love getting hot donuts on a summer day right before closing

It's 1:55pm and 95 degrees out on a summer day; what would you be doing? If it were me, I'd want to be at the beach, in a pool, or having a nice ice cream cone. Apparently my customers would rather be eating a dozen hot donuts. All I wanted to do was clean up so I could enjoy what was left of my summer time, but hungry donut lovers had other plans for me.

I wouldn't trade my experience as a donut dipper for anything. 

While working at a donut shop wasn't always the most glamorous job, I got to spend my summer working with some awesome people, making some awesomely, delicious donuts. Not only did the donuts taste amazing, but they also didn't look too bad if I do say so myself. I know the communication skills I acquired interacting with the many customers that would come in daily will come with me to whatever career path I choose. If you haven't yet, I would strongly recommend taking some time to work in the food industry. It definitely could change your perspective on the industry, as I know it did mine. And to all of my fellow food industry workers, you're the best!