If you’re anything like me, you fall asleep thinking about breakfast. If you dream about breakfast foods too, have no shame – breakfast is necessary to start your day off right, bringing your groggy self happiness during exam season. Turn your breakfast staples into one your tastebuds and body will love.

1. Pancakes

nutritious

Photo by Malia Hu

Pancakes are literally breakfast cakes, slaying your mornings one weekend at a time. But instead of filling them with white flour that has been bleached, refined and processed (appetizing? I don’t think so), use half unbleached flour and half whole wheat.

Whole wheat flour has around five times the amount of fibre as white flour and a low glycemic index. This means it’s able to keep you feeling full longer and prevent you from crashing.

2. Muffins

nutritious

Photo by Meredith Ross

Life got the best of you? We get it. These quick, healthy muffin recipes are lifesavers when you’re in a rush and on a stretch for your dollar.

Pro tip: bring out your inner master chef and make your own healthy substitutions. To start, swap in honey for brown sugar, use nutritious coconut oil instead of butter and throw in some cranberries or blueberries to keep the sweetness but minus the refined sugar.

3. Sugary Cereal

nutritious

Photo courtesy of popsugar.com

Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Froot Loops and Lucky Charms bring back all the nostalgia. But with sugar listed at the front of the ingredients, leave them for a throwback dessert.

When you take into account that one bowl of cereal is usually not equal to one cup serving, even brands like Honey Nut Cheerios and Kashi GOLEAN varieties are overloaded with sugar.

Overnight oats are a great solution. You’ll have a super nutritious (and picturesque) breakfast waiting for you even when you wake up after the fifth alarm. With chia seeds, nut butter and fruit, your morning breakfast helps you get ready with plenty of protein, fibre, and antioxidants.

4. Bagel and Cream Cheese

nutritious

Photo courtesy of @kellymaurine on Instagram

Bae-gels are, as suggested, bae. Although delicious, a bagel with cream cheese has nothing going for it nutrition wise. In addition, at 9g of fat per serving, 6g of which are saturated, you need an alternative.

Replace the cream cheese with sliced or mashed avocado. You can even amp up the creaminess by mixing in plain yoghurt (extra health points if you use greek yogurt). Your breakfast will be packed with essential healthy fats, protein, vitamin D, calcium and probiotics.

5. BLT

nutritious

Photo courtesy of dianeabroad.com

Although this classic got its status for a reason, the taste comes at a cost. Bacon is high in sodium, saturated fat, calories and has low amounts of vitamins and minerals.

Take away the bacon and sub in another classic breakfast food: eggs. ELT anyone? Eggs are a superfood: they contain 14 significant nutrients including vitamins A, D, E, folate, iron, zinc and choline.

#SpoonTip: Breakfast sandwiches are another excuse to have avocados for breakfast.

6. Prepared Oatmeal or Granola

nutritious

Photo courtesy of beautyandthebeing.wordpress.com

Do you lean on Quaker’s flavoured oatmeals or a store-bought granola for breakfast? If only it were that easy. Flavoured oatmeals and store bought granolas are usually very high in sugar, contain preservatives and/or additives that can be harmful to your health and have an unnecessary amount of salt.

Swap in rolled or old fashioned for instant and breakfast will still be ready in under 15 minutes. Then, add berries, a natural sweetener like honey, or cinnamon and nutmeg for a hint of spice.

Alternatively,  take a study break and bake a batch of homemade granola for the next time you’re running to catch the bus.

nutritious

Graphic by Spoon University