Slayter salads don’t have to be boring like most of the bland, under-seasoned dining hall food. With a little creativity and these simple ingredients below, you can drastically improve your meal.

1. Slivered Almonds

Add a crunch to your salad. Almonds are good for your heart and a great source of protein. So… when you make your way down the line don’t forget to ask for almonds on top.

salad, creative, ingredients, fresh, dining hall

Gif courtesy of giftrunk.com

2. Dried cranberries

Unlike their close counterpart and doppleganger, raisins, these dried cranberries are sweet and add a surprising texture to your salad. This topping will make you a Slayter-hack pro.

Gif courtesy of honeybooboogif.tumblr.com

3. Pesto tofu

Although tofu can be daunting to those non-vegetarians, trust me when I say you won’t regret adding it to your salad. The pesto masks the bland taste of tofu and because you are eating it with crunchy veggies and lettuce you won’t notice its awkward consistency.

Gif courtesy of bookworms.com

4. Sunflower seeds

These crunchy bite sized seeds are vitamin rich and add a salty twist to your salad. They are right next to the almonds and the cranberries so don’t skimp out at the end.

Gif courtesy of nbcsnl.tumblr.com

5. Side salads by the grill

I know it is a far walk from the salad station but meander on over to the grille area before you build your salad to check out the daily sides they offer – ranging from tabouli (tomatoes, mint, etc) to quinoa salad. Just a dollop of one of these sides can add a whole new dimension to your salad.

6. Sriracha

Lastly, a crowd favorite: Sriracha. Add just a drop of this sauce to your salad and feel your taste buds wake right up. Fair warning: a little goes a long way. Find this spicy red bottle by the condiments and utensils.

Next time you’re stuck waiting for declining dollars to start, take a look at this article and see how you can revamp your Slayter salad.