Any of us who watched Vampire Diaries know Nina Dobrev. And if you've kept up with this star, you'd see that she's recently become quite the wellness guru. This past summer, she became the new spokesperson for Reebok and Les Mils. Now, she's out to show the world just how fit she can be. And lucky for us, she's super open about how she makes it happen! Let's take a look at the ways Nina Dobrev stays in shape...

1. Varied Cardio

It's easy to get bored with the same workout routine that you do every day. Nina has found that changing it up is a really great way to prevent boredom. This actress has done everything from running to surfing to volleyball to get her heart rate going. So go out and try something different! Maybe instead of running, go for a bike ride or play a team sport with some friends. You'll be distracted since you're learning something new, and your workout will go by that much faster.

2. Strength Training

coffee, tea
Nicole Laszlo

The practice of strength training is something that Nina has only recently started. But her results have been amazing. In her own words, she feels "so much leaner and stronger" than she ever imagined she'd be. A lot of girls tend to shy away from strength training (I know I have). It's hard to include weights when you are always focused on getting that cardio in. But believe it or not, using your muscles will help you so much in the long run that it's worth taking some time out of your workout to do it. When you've worked out your muscles, your body's resting metabolic rate increases and you continue to undergo energy breakdown throughout the day, even when you're resting! So next time you're at the gym, go give those weights a try!

3. Add Some Music

Exercising, working out, motivation, music, exercise, Work Out, gym, hydrate, hydration, Sneakers, water, fitness
Denise Uy

Music is a great way to get yourself pumped up for a workout. Nina says that workout playlists are a great tool to use while running on a treadmill. She switches back and forth from sprinting to jogging depending on the beat of the music. This is a great way to enjoy your workout and push yourself. Obviously, everyone works out differently. But no matter what type of exerciser you are, you can use music to get yourself more into it.

4. Focus on Flexibility

Nina knows that it's super important to have a well-rounded workout each day. She doesn't just do cardio or just do strength training. She does all of the above. And any well-rounded workout schedule includes stretching. Nina is a huge fan of yoga, and she makes sure to incorporate stretching into her regular workouts. Stretching prevents our muscles from becoming tight and shortened, which can more easily lead to injury. It also strengthens them for a more beneficial workout. 

5. Morning Workouts

Nina told Shape Magazine when discussing her workouts, "I do it first thing when I wake up because then I can't make up an excuse for it, like being tired later on in the day." I'm a total morning workout girl myself, so I can attest that it is so much easier than waiting until later in the day. By the time we're done with classes, homework, and various club meetings, we're too exhausted to even think about working out. Working out in the mornings is a great way to get energized for the day, plus you won't have time to talk yourself out of it!

6. Get a Workout Buddy

Although some workouts are better done alone, there are a bunch of workouts that you can do with friends. Exercising with someone else adds some variation to your boring daily workouts, and chatting can distract you while going through tough parts of your routine. Plus who doesn't love a little healthy competition? Nina is notorious for workout out with a group of friends. Some of her favorites include cardio and dance classes with friends. 

7. Incorporate Carbs

cereal, wheat, rye, barley, flour, pasture, corn
Sarah Silbiger

Nina's personal trainer, Steve Moyer, encourages a diet that is balanced, but not restrictive. A lot of diets these days blame carbs for weight gain and try to completely eliminate them. But the truth is, carbs are a huge source of the body's energy, and not something that we should be getting rid of. Especially when you consider all the nutrients you might be missing out on without them. Moyer's diet plan stresses the importance of consuming whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and trying to eat as little processed foods as possible. 

8. Focus on Awareness

vegetable, avocado, scrambled, egg
Mackenzie Barth

Nina's trainer also recommends what he calls "calorie awareness" as opposed to calorie counting. This discourages you from limiting yourself, but rather encourages healthy choices. Knowing about calories can be beneficial; however, counting calories can easily lead to a calorie obsession, which is not healthy. Make sure that you educate yourself about calorie and nutrient content in various foods so that you can choose wisely throughout your day, without having to count. You may actually find yourself eating more than before, but with fewer calories and more nutrients!

9. Incorporate Physical Activity Into Your Routine

A great way to stay active on days when you may not have time for a formal workout is to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine. Do you drive to class or work? Maybe consider walking or biking on nicer days. Or park in a spot a little further from the building to get some time outside. Use your lunch break to take a stroll or to run on the campus track. Do some sit-ups and squats while studying. There are so many other ways to get a little bit of extra exercise in during the day. What does Nina do? In the past, she's made it a habit to bike to work.

10. Eat Less, More Often

peanut butter, sweet, peanut, chocolate, butter, bread
Gabby Phi

Eating smaller portions is an excellent way to prevent overeating. You never feel starving and you never feel completely stuffed. In recent years, Nina has changed her diet so that her eating is more evenly spread throughout the course of the day. This helps her to avoid feeling tired in the middle of the day from eating a huge meal. She ends up eating more in volume since a lot of her snacks consists of fruits and vegetables. 

11. Alcohol in Moderation

alcohol, wine, red wine, Bottle, glass, pouring, liquor
Caroline Ingalls

This can be a hard one to hear for us college students. But alcohol is actually fairly high in calories. Enjoying a glass of red wine or a Moscow mule can be beneficial in moderation. However, binge drinking on the weekends can be quite unsafe. Drinking less could definitely increase your hydration and get rid of those dreaded early-morning hangovers, which sounds like a win to me.

If you're like me and have always been a fan of Nina Dobrev, these 11 tips from Nina herself will definitely get you motivated to be physically active and feel good! Obviously, everyone is different, and what works for some won't always work for others. But with these general pointers, anyone can work toward eating a balanced diet and living a healthy and active lifestyle!