Don’t leave your sweet tooth untreated. Satisfy your sugary cravings at these top dessert destinations.

By Izzie Baum and Eilis Lombard

I Dream of Sweets

The name says it all. This quirky shop is a dessert haven for the sugar addict. IDOS offers an excellent variety of cakes and pastries, ice cream, coffee and teas as well as some standard lunch fare. But best of all, the back of the shop has rustic dresser drawers full of free candy. Our tip: order the s’mores tart heated up — the warm, gooey marshmallows are served with ice cream.

cheap

★★★★
Address: 824 Noyes Street, Evanston
Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs 7:30am–8pm, Fri 7:30am-9pm, Sat 8am-9pm, Sun 9am-4pm
(847) 859-6317

Bennison’s Bakery

If you’ve ever walked past Bennison’s Bakery late at night, you know the enticing smell of warm baked goods that wafts through the air with a promise of freshly baked sweets to come. When you enter the bakery the next day, the pastries and moist, generously iced cakes do not disappoint. The macarons, in particular, have recently garnered attention
as among the best in the Chicago area.

cheap

★★★★
Address: 1000 Davis Street, Evanston
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 6am-7pm, Sat 6am-5:30pm, Sun 7am-4pm
(847) 328-9434

Found

Ever since Found Kitchen and Social House opened last year, it has proven that Midwest-inspired cuisine with local ingredients can be vibrant, inventive and absolutely delicious. The dessert menu is no exception. Found’s top-notch preparation and presentation makes it a fitting choice for a special occasion indulgence when you don’t want to leave
Evanston. The pot de crème, a traditional French custard, is pleasantly airy and paired expertly with seasonal ingredients, while the rich and creamy gelato sundae is a decadent take on everyone’s favorite childhood treat.

average

★★★★
Address: 1631 Chicago Avenue, Evanston
Hours of operation: Tue-Thurs 4:30pm-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-3:30pm, 4:30pm-11pm, Sun 4:30pm-8:30pm
(847) 868-8945

Longman & Eagle

The dessert menu is constantly changing
at this foodie hotspot, where the least
likely combinations create novel gustatory
experiences. This gastropub has a dynamic, but laid-back atmosphere, where an
enthusiastic wait staff appears to live for the sole purpose of helping you decide between the fried apple pie with caramelized cheddar and graham cracker ice cream or the praline pecan terrine with bourbon panna cotta.

average

★★★★★
Address: 2657 Kedzie Avenue, Chicago
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 9am-2am, Sat 9am-3am, Sun 9am-2am
(773) 276-7110

Crêperie Saint Germain

If the disappearance of crêpes from Norris has left you with an unshakable case of ennui, venture down south to Crêperie Saint Germain, an authentic French crêperie in Evanston. The fromage de chevre hits the mark with a wonderful combination of sweet wine-braised pear with honey and whipped goat cheese. Nutella lovers won’t be able to resist the simple charm of the nutella crêpe, featuring fresh strawberries and the chocolate-y hazelnut spread.

cheap

★★★★
Address: 1512 Sherman Avenue, Evanston
Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs 11:30am-9pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10pm,
Sun 10:30am-9pm
(847) 859-2647

Koi

Koi’s generous dinner portions make it difficult to save room for dessert, but it’s worth the effort. The traditional mochi
dessert is outshined by the chocolate lava cake and salted caramel cake. The former is richly dense with a warm, dark filling, while the latter perfectly blends the salty and sweet flavors of the buttery graham cracker crust and thick caramel syrup. Both cakes are served with vanilla ice cream.

average

★★★½
Address: 624 Davis Street, Evanston IL
Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs 11:30am-3pm, 4:30pm-10pm, Fri 11:30am-3pm, 4:30pm-11pm, Sat 11:30pm-11pm, Sun 4:30pm-10pm
(847) 866-6969

Glazed & Infused

Are doughnuts really the new cupcakes? Perhaps it’s too soon to tell, but either way, Glazed & Infused is an excellent place to get a taste of the trend. Its handmade doughnut innovations, which use seasonal ingredients, take the ultimate comfort food dessert to a new, gourmet level. Visit any of five Chicago locations for a delicious addition to any day downtown. Make sure to try the cherry granola and the maple bacon long john.

cheap

★★★★
Address: 813 W Fulton Market, West Loop, Chicago
Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs 7am-2 pm, Fri 7am-5pm, Sat-Sun 7am-3pm
(312) 226-5556

Mindy’s Hot Chocolate

In addition to being a highly praised lunch spot, Mindy’s Hot Chocolate is renowned as a dessert bar. From original ice creams to pastries, the menu satisfies all taste buds. The brioche doughnuts with hot fudge and caramel corn pair well with the restaurant’s famous hot chocolate. Customers can choose between seven different hot chocolates of varying flavors and levels of richness. The dark, made of pure 72% French chocolate, has a particularly smooth, silky consistency and pure chocolate flavor. Plus, each drink comes with a fluffy, house-made marshmallow that dissolves in your mouth.

average

★★★★★
Address: 1747 N. Damen Avenue, Chicago
Hours of operation: Tues 5:30pm-10pm, Wed-Thurs 11:30am-2pm, 5:30pm-10pm, Fri 11:30am-2pm, 5:30pm-12am, Sat 10am-2 pm, 5:30pm- 12am, Sun 10am-2pm, 5:30pm-10pm
(773) 489-1747

Barnes & Noble

Great for those in a hurry, Barnes & Noble
offers a wide assortment of baked goods, including muffins, cupcakes and cheesecakes from The Cheesecake Factory. The staff is both friendly and attentive, and the quiet table area makes for a great study spot. Avoid the slightly dry scones and instead, indulge in a giant, soft chocolate chip cookie, studded with milk and dark chocolate chunks.
A reliable second option is the creamy,
not-too-sweet tiramisu.

cheap

★★★
Address: 1630 Sherman Avenue, Evanston
Mon-Sat 9am-10pm, Sun 10am-9pm
(847) 424-0848

Farmhouse

With an ever-changing menu, Farmhouse upholds the farm-to-tavern concept that focuses on fresh, seasonal cooking. The casual vibe and diverse beer selection are great for students wanting to relax with friends over a meal, and the dessert menu is integral to the experience. Some current dishes include the decadent peanut butter chocolate tart, topped with bourbon caramel sauce, and the raspberry bread pudding, served in a mason jar with cream cheese frosting.

average

★★★★
Address: 703 Church Street, Evanston
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 11am-3pm, 5pm-close, Sat-Sun 10am-3pm, 5pm-close
(847) 492-9700