Homemade salsa is one of those things that will make everyone go “OMGZ u can make salsa??” when you bring it to a dinner party, but it’s surprisingly simple to make. If you want to give the traditional stuff a twist, roasted tomatillo salsa with serrano chilis is the way to go. It’ll make any dish a slam dunk (is that the right sports terminology? …Touchdown? Goal? Hole-in-one?), not to mention you’ll become obsessed with underrated Mexican tomatillos.

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 16 tablespoons

6 medium tomatillos
2 serrano chili peppers*
2 tablespoons diced garlic
½ medium white onion
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoons lime juice
¼ cup fresh, chopped cilantro
Dash of green chile powder (optional, can be difficult to find)
*Jalapeños can be used as a substitute, but are less hot than serrano chili peppers

Photo by Ali

Photo by Ali Toes

1. To start, husk the tomatillos by removing the skin on the outside. Since the tomatillos may be a little sticky underneath the skin, rinse them until smooth.

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes

2. Place them on a baking sheet and stick in the oven at 350° F until they become blackened and blistered on the top, and then flip them. Roast for about 10-15 minutes on each side.

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes

3. Meanwhile, roast your serrano chilis on a cast iron skillet at medium-high heat with finely chopped garlic and olive oil. Rotate the chilis until all sides are evenly roasted, about 5-8 minutes. Turn off the stove, and remove the stems from the chilis.

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes

4. In a blender, add the roasted chilis, tomatillos (and any juice that may have seeped out while roasting), fresh cilantro, onion, salt, and lime juice. Pulse to desired consistency, for no more than a minute or two. 

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes

5. Serve cold with chips or on top of any taco, burrito, omelet, etc. Enjoy!

Photo by Ali Toes

Photo by Ali Toes