Tacos are the only dish I crave from my carnivorous friends. That is, until I discovered the mouth-watering raw taco recipe by my favorite food-blogger, Sarah Britton of the blog “My New Roots.” With the smoky chipotle flavor of the walnut taco mix, sweet and spicy salsa and a crunchy cabbage shell, you’ll never desire meaty tacos again. This version of Britton’s recipe is adapted slightly to make it a bit simpler to prepare.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground chipotle
1 tablespoon Braggs or soy sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small purple cabbage (for taco shells)
1 diced avocado
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
½ orange bell pepper, chopped finely
½ small red onion, minced ( 1/3 cup)
½ cup chopped mango
¼ cup cilantro (or substitute parsley)
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice of half a lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste
2. Dice cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and mango into small evenly sized pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Add chopped cilantro (or parsley) and minced garlic to the bowl and combine.
4. Add juice of half a lime and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Season with salt to taste.
6. Place cabbage leaves on plate (two per person) and add a large spoonful of walnut mix to each.
7. Top walnut mix with a large spoonful of salsa and diced avocado.
8. Add any other of your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!