Tex-Mex and fast food chains abound outside of Mexico itself and the Southwest. While DC is no exception, there is a ray of light for fellow Mexican food lovers in the guise of Lauriol Plaza. The long-established, three-storied behemoth sits between Dupont and Adam’s Morgan. In addition to both Americanized and more classic Mexican food, this restaurant offers tempting Spanish, Central American and South American dishes. Spoon stopped by on a Mexican food mission for a drawn out Saturday lunch.

Carne asada a la parrilla

Carne Asada 2

Photo by Eugene Ang

The carne asada is a must. It’s a Mexican herb-marinated skirt steak that comes sizzling with delicious mesquite smoke. Grilled vegetables and fresh flour tortillas round out the flavorful meat in this classic dish. The accompanying rice and beans will leave you very satisfied.

Beef Enchiladas

Beef Enchiladas 1

Photo by Eugene Ang

Fresh corn tortillas packed full of tender beef and dripping in hot gooey cheese and beef sauce–where can you go wrong? The beef enchilada verges on the Tex-Mex side but is tasty and timeless nonetheless. This dish is served with the usual Mexican rice and beans, yum.

Chilaquiles

Chilaquiles 1

Photo by Eugene Ang

Chilaquiles is a traditional dish prepared with fried tortilla, scrambled eggs, grilled chicken and warm green tomatillo sauce. This tasty conglomeration is topped with cheese and served with a refreshing side of fruit. Fun fact: chilaquiles are a famed hangover cure, to which one of my fellow diners agreed. Try some on a groggy morning and see how it works for yourself!

Brussels sprouts

Brussels Sprouts 1

Photo by Eugene Ang

Brussels Sprouts are admittedly not Mexican, but hey, you can get your green veggie fix on. This dish is sautéed with garlic goodness, bacon and potato.

Cajeta ice cream

Cajeta Ice Cream

Photo by Eugene Ang

Cajeta is a caramelized milk confection similar to dulce de leche. The combination of vanilla ice cream, cajeta and coconut tastes perfect on a hot day.

Tres leches cake

Tres Leches 1

Photo by Eugene Ang

This cake is amazing. This fluffy sponge cake is soaked in three types of milk and layered with whipped cream frosting. Moist with the right amount of sweetness, the tres leeches cake made a great ending to an eclectic meal.

Make a trip to Lauriol Plaza sometime soon! It’s open for brunch, lunch and dinner and is especially busy on weekend nights. The frozen swirled margaritas are very popular by the glass and by the pitcher, and the expansive menu and seating space make it great for groups.

If you’re in the mood for higher end Mexican food try Oyamel by José Andrés on 7th St. Alternatively, try Los Cuates on Wisconsin Ave for a closer margarita bar hangout and tons of Tex-Mex options.

average

Location: 1835 18th Street NW, Washington DC 20009
Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs 11:30am-11pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-12pm, Sun 11am-11pm