They’re sweet. They’ve got a spicy side. And some might even go so far as to call them sassy.
Not the words you’d tend to associate with Brussels sprouts? Time to redefine everything you’ve ever thought about these spherical, unglamorous bundles of green. Sure, they’re cabbage’s diminutive cousins, and yes, they’ve got a reputation as health food. But you’ll forget all about that when you get a taste of a roasted sprout, marinated to perfection in a spicy-sweet honey Sriracha combo and roasted to crispy caramelized perfection. The flavor change is almost magical, making them addictive as French fries. Best of all, they’re pretty much the easiest thing ever to make. Served with some simple sliced avocado to cut the heat and add creaminess, you’ve got a filling, flavor-filled meal that just happens to be entirely green.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Total Time: 30-35 minutes
10-15 Brussels sprouts, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Sriracha
½ avocado (to serve with, if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash Brussels sprouts, trim ends and slice each lengthwise.
2. In a large bowl, toss sprouts with salt, pepper and oil until evenly coated.
3. Spread evenly, flat side down, on baking pan. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until browned and crispy.
4. Meanwhile, mix honey and Sriracha in that same bowl. Dump finished sprouts into honey-Sriracha mixture and toss until evenly coated.
5. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper if desired, and serve sprouts plain or with slices of avocado.