With the slight air of sophistication that their French origins bring, crêpes are a welcome change from standard Sunday brunch fare. Thin and light, they pair well with both sweet and savory filling options. Once you’ve mastered flipping the crêpe without tearing it – the only tricky part of this recipe – try cream cheese, sliced fruit or Nutella as fillings. For heartier additions, fill with cheese, pesto and small pieces of ham.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes (about 2 or 3 minutes per crepe)
Total Time: 35 minutes

Servings: 10-12 crepes

2 eggs
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter (plus extra to butter the pan)

1. Whisk together eggs, water, milk, flour and melted butter in a mixing bowl.

Photo by Justin Shannin

2. Place frying pan over low heat and butter the pan.
3. Pour about a 1/4 cup of the batter in a circle into the frying pan so that it covers the pan in a thin layer.
4. Flip the crepe gently once the underside is fully cooked, turning a light golden color. The edges will start to curl up slightly and air pockets will form in the middle.

Photo by Justin Shannin

Tip: Be patient. Because the crepes are thin, they can tear easily. If you have a hard time getting the spatula underneath it, wait a little longer to flip it. Many times the first crepe will be the “mess-up” crepe; the ones that follow will form more easily.

5. Cook until both sides are a light golden color.
6. Put your filling of choice in the center, then fold or roll the crepe up around it.

Photo by Justin Shannin

Check out our video on how to flip a crêpe here