As a kid, Halloween was all about the candy. Actually, let’s be honest…Halloween is still all about the candy. But why stop there? Local restaurants and bars are hosting events and specials to celebrate the costume and candy-filled holiday. If you want a break from your fun-size variety pack of treats for some “adult” fun, check out these local spots for a deal on a delicious bite or drink.

Scorekeepers Bar and Grille
Skeeps is a popular destination for students searching for a cheap sip, and this Halloween, the bar will be hosting a costume contest on Thursday, October 31st. While I’m sure the garb will be impressive, what is really at stake is the prize – the winner gets their very own Skeeps V.I.P Card. This coveted piece of plastic grants you instant celeb status at the bar — no lines, speedy service, special treatment by staff — but usually costs way too much for the average student. And even if you don’t win the card, it’s still well worth the trip for Skeeps’ classic Thursday night special: $1 Long Islands.

Conor O’Neill’s
Down on Main Street, Conor O’Neill’s Restaurant and Pub is celebrating Halloween with different specials and entertainment for the entire holiday weekend. Thursday, stop by for $3 car bombs, drink specials, and a costume contest with prizes. Friday the pub is celebrating with a “Nightmare Before Christmas” theme, also premiering a Christmas Ale by Great Lakes Brewing Company. And finally, celebrations come to a close on Saturday with their Halloween Bash, complete live music, another costume contest, and plenty of discounted drinks to go around.

Photo by julie Mirliss

Sava’s
Sava’s may be known for their brunch, but this Halloween the restaurant is hosting a party on October 31st with a guest DJ and plenty of booze at a discount. The door opens at 10 pm and the party lasts until 2 am, so stop by after your best friend’s Halloween bash. Oh, and keep your costume on (there’s a contest there, too). Ten bucks gets you in the door. Happy grown-up trick-or-treating!

Photo by Julie Mirliss