Whether your family’s planning their holiday visit to the city or you’re just looking for a fancy-food weekend escape, The Fourth is a perfect spot for sophisticated and savory brunch indulgences. This East Village American brasserie, located next to the Hyatt Union Square on 4th Avenue, mixes urban American flair with a traditional French brasserie’s relaxed yet upscale-bistro feel.

Under the elegant high ceilings, live jazz band and warm glow of bubble-shaped lights, The Fourth offers three different dining experiences: a grab-and-go coffee bar with pastries galore, a general dining area and a lower level reservation-required space for large groups. Ideal for grad parties, birthday parties or somewhere to take out-of-town friends to experience a famous New York brunch, The Fourth has plenty of unique plates with hearty, rustic flavors.

Each brunch begins with a complimentary wooden platter of specialty house baked goods including banana bread, a small scone and sweet fried dough along with a glass of light peach Bellini. If you’re a coffee connoisseur, be sure to order a cup of the famous Café Quatrième brew to sip on and balance your meal.

The Fourth

Photo by Dan Q. Dao

As for entrees, the hearth eggs are highly recommended—break into poached eggs so warm yolks melt onto a bed of seasoned roasted potatoes, chopped kale and beets. Served in a small cast iron dish along with thick crunchy toast with natural buttery flavors, this colorful dish is a must-have on any table.

The Fourth

Photo by Dan Q. Dao

The French toast—golden crisp flakes on the outside and sponge-y soft insides—is served with a dollop of sweet cream and a dish of light syrup.

The Fourth

Photo by Dan Q. Dao

If you’re feeling especially adventurous, The New Yorker is a beautiful and delectable spread of a toasted everything bagel with slices of salmon,  pâté, cheese, tomatoes and olives.

The Fourth

Photo by Dan Q. Dao

For a heartier comfort-food option perfect for bacon lovers, try the BELT: an egg cracked into a slice of bread and then fried and served with bacon sandwich-style, though it can be enjoyed just as much open-faced.

On the contrary, the egg white fritatta cooked with sweet onions and sliced mushrooms and also served with thick cuts of buttery toast is a light but equally satisfying and delicious choice.

Here in New York, brunch is arguably the favorite time of day; at The Fourth, it might just be one of the best.

average

Address: 134 4th Ave.
Hours: Breakfast: Monday – Friday 7am-10am, Saturday & Sunday 7am-10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11am-3pm; Lunch: Monday – Friday 11:45am-2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Sunday 5pm-midnight