Let’s get real. Do you take the time to cook in the morning?  Or do you just roll out of bed five minutes before class and grab something to go? (If you even have breakfast at all.)

I get it.

College life is all about the quick and easy meal, and no one wants to even think about doing dishes before their 9:00 am.  But is eating out really the easier option? You might be surprised.  I’m breaking down the pros and cons of dishing in versus dining out in the morning: eggwich edition.

“Eggwich,” “Meggwich,” “egg sandwich”—call it what you will, there’s still nothing that can beat the combination of eggs, ham and cheese on a toasted bagel in the morning. I ran down to Amer’s for a #102 Meggwich with eggs, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and ham on an everything bagel to start the comparison.  Then I cooked up an egg sandwich of my own using eggs from Whole Foods, a Chicago-style everything bagel, shredded cheddar cheese and a slice of rosemary ham from Replenish.  Here’s what I found:

Breakfast Sandwiches

Photo by Anna Hsu

Amer’s “Meggwich”

Homemade Eggwich

Prep Time

No prep time necessary—isn’t that the beauty of take-out?

Have to make time to go to the grocery store—and don’t forget about those dishes afterward…

Cooking/Waiting Time

You’d think carry out would be faster than cooking, but that’s not always the case. Timing varies, but it took me 15 minutes to get my to-go order (not counting the time it took to walk to Amer’s or wait in line).

It only took me 5 minutes start to finish to cook my own sandwich.

Calories

Both are around 300 calories.

Home cooking is usually considered healthier (no added preservatives or extra oils) but in this case the calorie count came to about the same.

Taste

The Meggwich is certainly no fast-food McMuffin, but it’s no Pinterest-worthy breakfast sandwich either. In other words, it’s ok if you don’t mind processed eggs (that have been strangely folded into the shape of a square), or slightly wilted lettuce. In the future, I’d definitely request no lettuce or tomato—it just overpowers the taste of the ham and egg.

The perks of cooking for yourself: you can make the food how you like it and use only fresh ingredients. I stuck to a basic fried egg with a runny yolk in the center. Mixed with melted cheese, the flavorful rosemary ham, and strong seasonings of the everything bagel, this was one awesome breakfast sandwich. (Note: if you want a great bagel, stick to New York or Chicago-style—flat Michigan bagels just don’t compare.)

Price

$5.59 plus tax

Varies by where you shop. My total came to around $17 for enough food to make eggwiches for a week (about $2.40 each).

Breakfast Sandwiches

Photo by Anna Hsu

Final verdict: Grabbing a Meggwich on the way to class can be an easy way to eat breakfast on those days when you just have no food left in the house. But, taking the time to stock up at the grocery store will save time and money in the long run—plus, unless you just seriously can’t cook, making this fast and easy egg sandwich at home just tastes way better.

More good stuff here: