We constantly hear about carbs being the enemy and the need to cut them out of our diets completely. In reality, the right carbohydrates are very important to a healthy body, providing energy and fiber that keep you full and going strong throughout the day. The Institute of Medicine states, “adults should get 45% to 65% of their calories from carbohydrates.” So here are a few healthy sources of carbs that are very accessible to students here at the University of Delaware:

Oatmeal

Oatmeal is an amazing source of carbohydrate to add to your diet. Old fashioned oats, quick oats and lower sugar instant oatmeal are all great swaps for cereal in the morning. One of the main goals you should make when choosing your carbs is to emphasize whole grains. Oatmeal is less processed than cereal and usually contain less sugar. The fiber in this meal will definitely help keep you full until lunch. Unflavored oats can be completely tailored to your taste as well. Try adding cinnamon, walnuts, mashed banana or other natural, nutritious ingredients to spice things up. If you don’t have a car to get to Acme, oatmeal is also available all over Newark at Walgreens, Super Fresh, P.O.D., 7-Eleven just to name a few.

Photo by Adrianna Simeone

Fruits and Veggies

It is no surprise that fruits and vegetables are important to a good diet. It is now recommended that these carb-packed foods make up half of your plate during each meal. Some benefits include a lower risk of disease when having five servings of fruit a day. Carrots, apple slices and mixed fruit are all available in Trabant’s cold case. However, individual apples and bananas are also available at a much better deal at $0.99 each around campus. The dining hall, P.O.D. and the new 7-Eleven on Main Street all offer fruits and vegetables at an affordable price.

Photo by Adrianna Simeone

Popcorn

Popcorn is one of the easiest ways to get healthy carbs from whole grains. Just make sure that you are picking a more wholesome, low-fat variety because many movie theater types have a lot of added salt and saturated fat. Look for SmartPop! at Walgreens or Super Fresh and other low fat selections at the P.O.D. and 7-Eleven.

Photo by Adrianna Simeone

Beans

Beans are a satiating meal addition that are high in protein and often very inexpensive. They can be thrown into salads, found in Minestrone soup at Walgreens, masked in a burrito bowl at Cal Tor or enjoyed in hummus.

Photo by Adrianna Simeone