If there’s a surefire way to kick off a party, it’s with a unique, mouth-watering, bite-sized starter ­— on a toothpick. The combination of crisp, smoky bacon and sweet dates might not sound like your typical crowd-pleaser, but trust us on this one. Inspired by Tapas Barcelona’s delectable appetizer, this variation of bacon-wrapped dates is an easy and inexpensive way to feed a large number of guests. The aroma that fills your kitchen and the explosion of flavor in every bite will get all partygoers’ senses rolling. Get creative by stuffing the dates with almonds, ricotta or Parmesan cheese and drizzling them with maple syrup. Don’t be surprised if attendance at your next party soars.

Easy

Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 6

18 dates, pitted
9 slices bacon
1/4 cup goat cheese
2 sprigs rosemary
18 toothpicks

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Cut bacon in half, crosswise.
3. Stuff goat cheese into a corner of a Ziploc bag. Use scissors to cut a small hole in the tip of the corner.
4. Fill dates with cheese.
5. Stuff each date with 2-3 rosemary leaves.
6. Wrap each date with a half piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
7. Arrange dates on parchment-lined baking sheet and cook for 7 minutes. Turn dates over and cook until bacon is crispy, about 7-8 minutes.
8. Serve immediately.

Inside-out Coconut dates

For all you vegetarians and dorm-dwellers looking to contribute to the party, make these coconut-dusted, no-bake date treats.

Easy

Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 6

18 dates, pitted
½ cup shredded coconut flakes

1. Cut dates lengthwise and flip inside out.
2. Roll each date in shredded coconut until fully coated.