Yep, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and there’s nothing sexier than cooking something delicious at home with your significant other. Seeing as many of us are broke college students, we’ll have to get creative for V-Day. So, I’ve compiled a list of 5 ingredients that are natural aphrodisiacs and will leave your taste buds singing and your mood a little sweeter in Valentine’s Day fashion.

Credit to: topnews.in/health

Photo courtesy of topnews.in/health

Chile Peppers

One of the most potent aphrodisiacs, chile peppers allow your body to release endorphins which elevate your mood and overall senses. Cut ‘em up and throw them in some guacamole as an appetizer or mix them in your pasta sauce. It will give your meal a kick while the spiciness gets your heart pumping faster than normal, leaving you revved up yet content.

Photo by Sean Koetting

Pine Nuts

Rich in zinc, pine nuts are your go-to food if you’re looking to stimulate your senses. Pine nuts are especially good when paired with a chocolate dessert or cookie, but another way to incorporate these tasty nuts is to use them to garnish your chicken or pasta.

Photo by Sean Koetting

Rose Petals

I know what you’re thinking: why would anyone eat rose petals? Actually, you can make sauces, teas and dessert items using rose petals, creating surprising possibilities. Rose petal sauce is popularly made and used to cover chicken, lamb and even salad. Or you can add candied rose petals to a cake or ice cream for dessert. Since these are very popular around Valentine’s Day, it could be fun to integrate this flower into your meal.

Photo by Sean Koetting

Chocolate-covered almonds

For all of you chocolate lovers out there, you will be happy to know that eating chocolate can fuel your romantic urges. And since you can find it almost anywhere this time of year, it’s only obvious that it show up as a dessert on Valentine’s Day. Almonds are an added bonus since their Vitamin E and magnesium levels are high enough to leave most women feeling romantic. Toss these on top of some vanilla ice cream and you’re good to go.

Photo by Sean Koetting

Red, Red Wine

Valentine’s Day just isn’t as special without some red wine. The color alone screams romance and the taste goes great with a grilled chicken or bowl of pasta. Also, if you’re short on cash, check out the awesomely affordable options for red wine at your local Trader Joe’s. Research shows that women who drink 1 to 2 glasses of red wine a day have stronger libidos than those who don’t; so why not drink to that this Valentine’s Day?