As the last football game of the season approaches, there is no time like the present to make Jell-O shots that showcase your Northwestern spirit. These strawberry lemonade Jell-O shots have it all: they’re purple, sweet and portable, making them the perfect snack for the shuttle to Ryan Field (or inside the stadium if you’re really sneaky).

The Jell-O shot recipe is simple: you only need a package of Jell-O, water or fruit juice, the alcohol of your choice and, of course, plastic Jell-O shot cups. Just how much alcohol you use depends on what proof it is.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooling Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes

Servings: 27 2-ounce shots

1 6-ounce package of strawberry Jell-O
1 ¼ cups vodka, plus up to ½ cup Absolut Citron if the vodka has a lower proof
2 cups lemonade
1 cup water
Blue food coloring
Non-stick cooking spray
Jell-O shot cups

Directions:
1. Stir together vodka and ¾ cup of water in a cup. Place in freezer to chill.

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

2. Bring the lemonade and ¼ cup of water to a boil. Meanwhile, pour the Jell-O powder into a small bowl.

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

3. Once the lemonade mixture has come to a boil, pour it over the powder and stir until all of the powder is completely dissolved.

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

4. Stir in the chilled vodka and water mixture.

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

5. Slowly add drops of blue food coloring in as you stir until you reach a perfect Wildcat purple, about 6 drops.

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

6. Lightly spray the inside of the Jell-O cups with the cooking spray. (This will help the shots slide out of the cups easier come game time.)

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

7. Ladle the liquid Jell-O into the cups. (My cups are 2 ounces, so I use a ¼ measuring cup, which fills each cup almost all the way.) Put lids on if you have them, and carefully place the Jell-O cups in the fridge until set, at least 4 hours.

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

jell-o shots

Photo by Kirby Barth

8. Keep the Jell-O shots refrigerated until the last second, otherwise they begin to melt. Serve cold and enjoy wisely!