It was 8pm on a Thursday night when I was struck with the desire to eat as much sugar as humanly possible. But since I'm the type of person that makes sugarless chocolate squares (yeah, I'm that friend), I wound up browsing for healthy dessert ideas on Pinterest. I came across some ice cream recipes. I found some chickpea cookie dough ones. And then inspiration struck. Why wasn't I making vegan cookie dough ice cream?

It was a question that had to be resolved immediately. I whipped up a batch of these cookie dough bites, and then I got to work. The result was a jar of heavenly vegan goodness.

Cookie Dough Nice Cream

• Cook Time:0

• 2 large frozen bananas
  • 2 pitted Medjool dates
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 batch chickpea cookie dough balls
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons hot water
milk, espresso, cream, coffee, chocolate
Jody Brimacombe

The night before, prepare one batch of chickpea chocolate chip cookie dough balls. Refrigerate overnight, allowing the cookie dough to firm up.

sweet, cookie, chocolate
    Jody Brimacombe

In a small cup, combine the peanut butter, cocoa powder, syrup, and hot water. Whisk with a fork until a runny chocolate sauce is formed. If the sauce is still too thick, add more hot water.

cappuccino, candy, espresso, sweet, cream, coffee, milk, chocolate
    Jody Brimacombe

In a high-speed blender, combine frozen bananas, dates, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Blend on low speed for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to combine. The mixture should be the consistency of ice cream.

#SpoonTip: If the nice cream isn't blending, try adding a splash of almond milk.

pudding, coffee, sweet, dairy product, milk, cream
    Jody Brimacombe

Scoop the nice cream into two jars or bowls, and top with cookie dough balls and the peanut butter-chocolate sauce.

cake, espresso, dairy product, sweet, milk, cream, coffee, chocolate
    Jody Brimacombe

This vegan cookie dough ice cream is perfect for those nights when you can't be bothered to whip up a whole tray of vegan brownies or cookies. Plus, the recipe makes two servings, so you can have an extra sundae for the next time the sugar cravings strike. It's a win-win.