With Passover right around the corner, you may be thinking, “Oy vey! How am I going to go eight days eating only matzah?” Well, fear not. This matzah crunch is salty, sweet, chocolatey, and everything you’ll need to survive Pesach.

The base of matzah crunch is a sweet caramel, and from there the flavors are up to you. This recipe is for milk chocolate pistachio crunch, but the possibilities are endless. To mix up your matzah, sub out the milk chocolate for white, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate and top with whatever you have in your pantry. Some of my favorite variations include semi-sweet chocolate with sea salt and white chocolate with dried apricots and cherries.

#SpoonTip: If you use white chocolate, make sure to use a chocolate bar because chips won’t melt correctly.

Matzah Crunch

• Prep Time:10
  • Cook Time:45 minutes
  • Total Time:55 minutes
  • Servings:10 servings

• 4-6 unsalted matzah sheets
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped milk chocolate
  • 1/3 cup chopped pistachios

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line cookie sheets with tin foil, then cover with parchment paper. Place matzah on top, breaking extra pieces to fit any spaces.

Photo by Brooke Robinson

Combine butter, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat.

Photo by Brooke Robinson

Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil, then continue to stir for 3 minutes.

Photo by Brooke Robinson

Remove mixture from heat and pour over matzah.

Photo by Brooke Robinson

Place baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350°F.

#SpoonTip: If caramel seems to brown too quickly, lower heat to 325° F.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes, then spread.

Photo by Brooke Robinson

Sprinkle desired toppings over matzah.

Photo by Brooke Robinson

Freeze for 30 or more minutes and break into pieces.

#SpoonTip: Save the crumbs for a yummy ice cream topping.

Photo by Brooke Robinson