Move over ramen burgers, because Mac ‘n Cheese burgers are the latest in delicious bun innovation. The Mac ‘n Cheese buns in this recipe have been sized down to complement one of America’s favorite dishes: sliders. Breading and frying the chilled mac ‘n cheese gives it the crunch you need but with the gooey and savoriness that comes with mac ‘n cheese. To top it off, the sliders can be customized to your liking in terms of toppings and sauces. My favorite pairings with mac ‘n cheese shown in this recipe are BBQ sauce, bacon bits, and more cheese, because there is honestly no such thing as too much cheese. The buns do require a bit of prep beforehand, but it is completely worth it. Happy cooking!

Mac 'n Cheese Sliders

• Prep Time:6 hours
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:6 hours 20 minutes

• 8 oz elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 16 oz ground beef
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Onion powder
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Bacon
  • Sliced cheese
  • BBQ sauce
Photo by Hui Lin

In a large pot, melt the butter and combine with flour and salt over medium heat.

GIF by Hui Lin

Slowly add in the milk until the mixture thickens a bit. Add the cheese and melt to make the cheese sauce. Stir in cooked macaroni until fully incorporated.

#SpoonTip: You can use pre-packed or instant cheese sauces from the store.

GIF by Hui Lin

Pour the mac ‘n cheese into a wax paper lined pan. Spread it evenly and cover with plastic wrap. Weigh it down with something heavy on top and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.

#SpoonTip: The longer it chills, the better it will hold together. It can also be placed int he freezer for 2-3 hours.

GIF by Hui Lin

Use a small cup and cut out circles in the chilled mac ‘n cheese sheet to make the slider buns.

GIF by Hui Lin

Coat each bun with flour, egg, and bread crumbs. Fry the buns for 3-4 minutes on each side.

GIF by Hui Lin

Mix together the ground beef, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Shape the beef into the size of a tennis ball and flatten to 1 – 1.5 inches to make a patty.

GIF by Hui Lin

Fry the patties for 4-6 minutes on each side on high heat until fully cooked.

GIF by Hui Lin

Stack together the buns, patties, and your favorite burger toppings. Enjoy.

GIF by Hui Lin