There are endless ways to make tacos: with beef, with turkey, in a bacon-weave shell, in a waffle cone shell and stuffed with ice cream, etc. So here’s an easy way to make  classic shrimp tacos, with a slaw and a sauce- all from scratch!

You are an adult now (sorta), and so you should not need to rely on taco kits any longer. When the time permits, make your tacos from scratch and love. With this recipe, you will see how easy this actually is.

You will quickly realize how many times lime is used in this recipe, but you only really need one lime. I promise it’s not overwhelming, and neither is the cilantro that everyone seems to be strong opinionated about these days.

Another note is that this recipe is very mild, so I did add hot sauce to my finished tacos because spice is life. But you have the freedom to choose.

Drunken Shrimp Tacos

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 1 cup julienned carrots
  • 1 cup julienned red cabbage
  • 1 julienned jalapeño
  • 1 lime
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • Chili powder
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 4 tortillas
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Photo by Jackie Kuczynski

In a bowl, combine the sour cream, cilantro, about half a lemon’s juice, half of a lime’s juice, and Chili powder (to your liking).

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Bring a pot of water to a boil, and then add the carrots, cabbage, jalapeño. Let cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat and run under cold water.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

In a bowl, mix your cook vegetables, vinegar and lime juice. Place in the refrigerator.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Heat a skilled to medium heat, add olive oil and minced garlic.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Add the shrimp to the skillet, cook for about one minute, flip and repeat.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Construct your tacos!

#SpoonTip: Cover tortillas with a wet paper towel and microwave for about 15-20 seconds. This will make them not only nice and warm, but also more flexible.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski