As a kid, I remember begging my mom to buy toaster strudels every time we passed the freezer aisle in the food store. Sometimes she would give in and grab two boxes, but most days I had to settle for All Bran, the old man of cereal.

Now that I’m able to read and understand nutrition facts, I know why my mom wasn’t such a fan of the gooey goodness of a breakfast pastry.  Saturated fat is not my friend, and not your friend either. Does this mean that everyone should cut out breakfast pastries from their life? Of course not!  You just have to healthify what you shouldn’t have.

Unlike my attempts at making vegan cheese, this flaky vegan toaster strudel recipe actually looks and tastes like what it’s supposed to.  You can even draw an icing masterpiece on the top just like good old days. Now make this recipe and make your momma proud.

Homemade Vegan Toaster Strudels

• 2 cup flour (1 cup whole wheat pastry, 1 cup unbleached all purpose)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • ⅔ cup cold vegan butter
  • 4 tablespoon ice cold water
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
  • ½ cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • Prep Time: 20 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 45 minutes
  • Servings: 6 toaster strudels

Step 1

Preheat oven to 375° F and oil baking sheet.

Step 2

Prepare the fruit filling: place berries in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook for 5-8 minutes with the lid on (stirring occasionally), then transfer to a bowl to cool.

Step 3

Prepare the crust: mix flour and salt in a large bowl and cut in butter. Drizzle cold water over the mixture and mix until it starts to form a dough (if it’s too sticky to knead, add more water).

Step 4

Turn dough onto a floured surface, shape into a disc, and use a rolling pin (or wine bottle) to roll into a large rectangle.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Step 5

Cut into 12 equal squares and carefully transfer each to the baking sheet.  Place around 1 tablespoon of filling onto 6 of the squares, leaving a ¼-inch border to seal the edges.

Step 6

Use your finger to dot water around the edges so the two squares stick together. Top the squares with their matching halves and then seal lightly with a fork.

Step 7

With a fork, poke a few holes in the top of each, rub a tiny bit of vegan butter on top of each and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Step 8

In a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, non-dairy milk and vanilla.  Mix icing until smooth.

toaster strudel

toaster strudel

Step 9

Once done cooking, let the toster strudels cool for a few minutes, then top with icing.