The smell of warm apple cinnamon oatmeal drifts down the hallway. You might wonder – who is making oatmeal at 8:00 AM? That could be you, my friends. I am a firm believer you simply cannot start your day without breakfast. It's arguably the most delicious and essential meal of the day. So, here are 7 Insanely Easy Dorm Breakfasts that will knock your socks off.  

Customizable Overnight Oats 

Overnight oats. So convenient. So good. What are you having for breakfast? #onmytable #everydayeyecandy

LaShawn Wiltz on Flickr

Overnight oats are one of the easiest breakfasts you can make. With fundamental ingredients and only 5 minutes of prep time, you can make it anytime. I find that leaving it in the fridge for 8 to 12 hours gives you the best results, but we all know no one gets that much sleep in college, right?

Start by mixing 1/2 cup of rolled oats with 1/2 cup of the milk of your choice. I am personally a fan of oat milk, but you can use whatever you have access to. Throw in some greek yogurt for extra protein and creaminess, and add in some mix-ins like chia seeds, chocolate chips, nuts, or berries. Stick it in the fridge overnight, and you have a hassle-free no-prep breakfast the following day. Feel free to pop the jar in the microwave and sprinkle on some brown sugar for an extra cozy breakfast if it's chilly outside.

Overnight Oats

• Cook Time:8 hrs
  • Total Time:8 hrs 5 mins

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1-2 tbsp greek yogurt
  • Mix-ins e.g. chia seeds / flax seeds / chocolate chips / fresh fruit / cinnamon
cereal, wheat, pasture, oat, oatmeal, barley, hands, handful, handful of oats, grain, Rolled oats

Chia Seed Pudding 

Spiced chia seed pudding, granola, coconut milk, dried persimmon, goji berries, buckwheat honey, sea salt

T.Tseng on Flickr

Are you looking for a protein-rich breakfast? Look no further than chia seed pudding. All you need is some chia seeds, easily accessible at all grocery stores, and some milk (oat milk works great here). In a mason jar, combine chia seeds with milk in a ratio of 1 tbsp of seeds to 1/4 cup of milk. I find around 2 tbsp of chia seeds with 1/2 cup of milk is a hearty serving. Stir thoroughly to make sure there are no lumps, and pop your jar in the fridge overnight to allow the chia seeds to absorb all the milk. Top with fresh fruit, granola, and nuts, followed by a drizzle of sweetener if desired. 

Overnight Chia Pudding

• Cook Time:8 hrs
  • Total Time:8 hrs 5 mins

• 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Desired toppings e.g. fruit / granola / chocolate chips
  • Liquid sweetener - optional
Becky Hughes

Granola Parfait 

Yogurt

grongar on Flickr

The perfect blend of creamy, tangy Greek yogurt and crunchy granola come together in this low-effort breakfast. Pick up a bag of granola from your favorite supermarket (I recommend Nature's Path or Bob's Red Mill) and some greek yogurt. Plant-based yogurts also work great in this recipe, but get the unsweetened, unflavored ones to avoid excess sugar. Combine layers of yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit in between and keep repeating until you fill your container. By putting fruit in it, you make your breakfast more hearty and get your five a day! 

Granola Parfait

• Cook Time:0

• 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/4 cup granola
  • Freshly cut fruit e.g. bananas and strawberries
  • Some chopped nuts e.g. walnuts and almonds
  • Liquid sweetener if desired
granola, cereal, muesli, sweet, corn, oat, wheat, granola bar, muesli bar, wheat flake, candy, cereal bar, oatmeal, cornflakes
Sarah Fung

Banana Pancakes 

Pancakes

Der Robert on Flickr

Delectable, fluffy, light banana pancakes, anyone? I've got you covered with this easy 5-minute recipe. If you have those overripe bananas from the dining hall growing brown and mushy in your fridge, here is the perfect opportunity to use them. 

Start by combining 1 cup of dry pancake mix with one free-range egg, 2/3 cup of milk, 1 tbsp oil, and one mashed ripe banana. Ideally, you would let this mixture sit in the fridge overnight for all the flavors to develop and for maximum fluffiness, but you can skip this step if you are short on time.

Heat the skillet and flip away! I find the optimal heat for pancakes is between low and medium. Cover them with a lid until you see an opaque film forming on top and multiple bubbles and flip to reveal a golden-brown crust. Hack: put the oil inside the batter instead of on the pan to give you a more even browning.

Banana Pancakes

• 1 cup pancake mix
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp oil
pancake, syrup, sweet, dairy product, honey, butter, cream, pastry
Christin Urso

Buzzing Bagel and Egg Sandwich 

(Almost) Everything Bagel

orijinal on Flickr

*WARNING* BAGEL EGG SANDWICHES ARE ADDICTIVE SO CONSUME AT YOUR OWN RISK. 

Have you ever had a bagel sandwich that hits the spot, and satisfies all your cravings? Well, now you have. This bagel sandwich is genuinely magical because the way the egg is cooked is very unique.

Start by toasting your everything bagel until golden and crispy on both sides. Then, heat a pan on medium to high heat, drizzle in olive oil and crack in one free-range egg. You will want to absolutely destroy the egg yolk – just trust me. Take a spatula or your utensil of choice, break the yolk, and swirl it around until it is evenly distributed. Then cook the egg for about 1-2 minutes on each side until it is crispy and has brown flecks. Flip the egg a total of 4 times for the optimal fried egg. If you are plant-based, try some scrambled tofu or Just Egg instead. 

Assemble by spreading a thick layer of cream cheese on both bagel slices and gently placing your award-winning egg on top. Sprinkle on everything but the bagel seasoning, and for an extra decadent treat, you can even add a crispy hash brown.

Buzzing Bagel Sandwich

• 1 everything bagel cut in half
  • Spoon full cream cheese
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 free-range egg
  • Everything but the bagel seasoning
  • Desired toppings e.g. hash browns
Anisha Johnson

Customizable PB English Muffin

All you need is peanut butter, an English muffin, and your imagination with this recipe. You can take a sweet approach to the dish and make classic PB & J or make PB & chocolate with sliced bananas. Or, you can take a more savory route and twist the classic BLT by putting in lettuce, a fried egg, and peanut butter. Whatever you choose, make sure to buy low-sodium peanut butter without added oil to avoid extra calories. Also, if you can, try to buy whole wheat English muffins for some extra fiber. 

English Muffin Sandwich

• Cook Time:0

• 1 whole wheat english muffin cut in half
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • Desired toppings e.g. jelly / chocolate chips / banana / lettuce
Anisha Johnson

Beans on Toast 

8465

BobPetUK on Flickr

When my best friend asked me if she could try beans on toast, I was beyond excited. Growing up in Dubai, home to a large British population, I had eaten baked beans on toast on multiple occasions. It was a low-effort, delicious breakfast that required no cooking at all.

To make this British delight, make two slices of toast using your choice of bread. I find a sourdough or white bread works particularly well here. Once you have your desired crispiness and color, spread a thin layer of butter onto the bread and pour over your warmed baked beans. Mix in some chopped sautéed spinach or mushrooms to make this even more nutritious.

You can finish your toast off with an award-winning fried egg on top and a sprinkling of everything but the bagel seasoning for that special touch. 

Beans on Toast

• 2 slices bread
  • 1 tsp salted butter
  • 1/2 can baked beans
  • Optional toppings e.g. sautéed spinach / fried egg
  • Everything but the bagel seasoning
Anisha Johnson

I hope these 7 Insanely Easy Dorm Breakfasts really did knock your socks off, and if you currently aren't wearing socks, who are you? 

Happy cooking!