Baked oatmeal comes in many variations and is bound to please any breakfast cravings. For the minimalist breakfast eater, it can be made and eaten plain with just a splash of milk to cool it down. For those who wake up with a sweet tooth, add chocolate chips or fresh fruit. Baked oatmeal can easily be made in a dorm kitchen and, if cut into individual bars, can be grabbed on the way to class or work. With this recipe, the week’s worth of breakfasts and on-the-go snacks that you’ll get from just one pan will hardly make a dent in your wallet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
1/2 cup milk
1 ½ cup quick cooking oats
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/4 vegetable oil (you can substitute with 1/2 cup water)
1 tablespoon sugar (brown or white)
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. Mix milk, oats, vegetable oil, egg and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. Grease a loaf or pie pan.
4. Pour in mixture.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until firm but bouncy.
6. Add in optional toppings. Try a few handfuls of dried fruit, nuts or pieces of fresh fruit (we recommend apples or bananas). Add some warmth and sweetness with cinnamon and brown sugar. A pinch of salt and a splash of milk will round out your dish and keep the sweetness in check.