You’ve definitely heard it all before from your health nut roommates: quinoa is a protein-packed super grain that’s full of super-healthy vitamins like fiber, iron, and magnesium.

With all of those health benefits, quinoa seems to have wiggled its way back into popular dishes that can be loved by yoga-obsessed vegans and frat boys alike. If you’re anything like me, you’ve spent your whole life thinking that quinoa was just something your mom made at dinner when you came home for the holidays.

What you may not have known about quinoa is that it also makes for a great breakfast, especially when it’s piping hot and topped and slathered in organic peanut butter. Can’t afford organic? Here’s a list of the best grocery store peanut butters.  

Throw some bananas in there and you’ve got yourself a meal that’ll make your roommates green with envy. And it’s super healthy and will give you the energy that you need to finish that essay you’ve been putting off.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 1 bowl

½ cup dry quinoa
¾ cups light almond milk (canned)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons organic peanut butter
2 bananas

quinoa

Photo by Jill Langin

1. In a small saucepan, bring quinoa, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg to a boil.

quinoa

Photo by Jill Langin

2. Once it’s boiling, reduce it to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it simmer for another 15 minutes. When the quinoa appears to have absorbed all of the milk, fluff it lightly with a fork.

quinoa

Photo by Jill Langin

3. Put it in a bowl and top with bananas, peanut butter. Feel free to add some tasty extras like almonds or a little extra cinnamon if you’re feeling crazy. If you want, you can put a little more almond milk on.

quinoa

Photo by Jill Langin

4. Then, get your spoon out and get ready for the breakfast that beats the dining hall food 10 times out of 10.

Now you’re in the mood to brunch so check out these recipes: