Often heralded as someone who will eat any cookie, Sid “Cookie” Monster is misunderstood. After spending an afternoon with Mr. Monster in his Connecticut home, I learned he is more of a cookie connoisseur than anyone knows. Sid and I took a stroll through his luscious garden, admiring different flowers and comparing them to cookies. “This one, this one definitely reminds me of a peanut butter cookie,” he said as he lightly caressed a beautiful beige flower.  Later, we enjoyed an assortment of gourmet biscuits with ice-cold milk as Sid regaled me with stories of his time on Sesame Street. His den, where we lounged, is filled with leather-bound catalogs of perfected cookie recipes he has created. Unfortunately, he could not show them to me, as the world is not quite ready for their perfection; however, while Sid wasn’t looking, I snagged a recipe from his collection. This recipe shows that even a Sid-worthy cookie can be basic. At first I was surprised by the simplicity of the recipe, but taking it home and trying it out removed any doubts I had. With just the right amount of richness, this small cookie can satiate even the largest urge to “om nom nom nom.”

Easy

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes

Servings: vary

1 cup peanut butter (use smooth or crunchy, sweetened or unsweetened according to your preference)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon milk

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a baking sheet (you may also line it with parchment paper).
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the peanut butter, sugar and egg with a fork until evenly combined.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Photo by Willie Calvin

3. Roll mixture with hands into 1-2 tablespoon balls (aim for uniformity of size) and place on your baking sheet.
4. Use a fork to flatten the balls and make a crisscross pattern.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Photo by Willie Calvin

5. Place in oven for approximately 16 minutes.
6. When the cookies are done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack until they are at room temperature.
7. While the cookies are cooling, slowly melt the chocolate chips with the milk, stirring occasionally. A double boiler works best, however the microwave will also do the job.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Photo by Willie Calvin

8. When chocolate is fully melted and smooth, use a spoon to dab a small amount of chocolate on each cookie, just enough to spread evenly over the top.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Photo by Willie Calvin

9. Let the chocolate cool for about 20 minutes and serve.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Photo by Willie Calvin

Classy Tips:

If you do not have a double boiler, you can use a metal mixing bowl that will cover the top of a pot. Make sure not to get any water in the chocolate while it is melting or else it will “seize” and that is not classy at all.

This recipe can easily be halved, doubled, or even tripled just in case Cookie Monster pays a visit.