Love is in the air, or so they say, but so is the scent of chocolate. Valentine’s Day is a sweet charade of boxed chocolates and empty ice cream containers – feigned attempts of love abound. And we embrace it wholeheartedly, because the more excuses we have to eat chocolate, the better. Whether or not you’re spending this Friday with a valentine, anyone can celebrate a different kind of love – the love of chocolate. Molten chocolate lava cakes are one of the most delicious desserts known to man and their hearts of warm gooey chocolate are capable of wooing a lover or wooing yourself into loving yourself more. Depending on what sort of Valentine’s Day you’re planning on having, this recipe makes up to two servings; two if you’re sharing, one if you’re not.

Easy

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 – 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes (including cooling)

Servings: 1 – 2

Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes (for one or two)

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

1 egg
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (and a little more for buttering your lava cake vessels)

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400° F and butter your ramekins. If you don’t have ramekins, a small ovenproof cup or a muffin tin could work as well.

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

2. Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat.

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

3. Whisk in the egg , sugar and vanilla extract.

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

4. Fold in the flour until incorporated and the batter is goopy and irresistable.

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

5. Pour the magic chocolate batter into your designated cups or ramekins and place on a baking sheet.

Photo by Katya Simkhovich

6. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes, exercising the highest degree of strength you can manage.
  7. Gently invert the cakes onto a plate, letting the cup or ramekin hang out upside down for a minute on the plate will let the lava cake get used gravity.
  8. Slowly lift the ramekin or cup and behold the wonder which lies beneath.
  9. Eat plain, alone, with a valentine or with ice cream.

Photo by Katya Simkhovich