Whether we like it or not, we have all witnessed it:  the rise of the mason jar.  Once used solely for canning fruits and vegetables, mason jars have now expanded their utility beyond preservation.  From centerpieces at weddings to party favors at birthdays, people have really become creative with the mason jar and Pinterest is predicted to explode in the near future with the number of crafting ideas they can be used for.  Sure, they’re cool and hipster, but some of the latest uses of mason jars are definitely questionable.   While it may seem fun or cute to use mason jars for eating and drinking in a different way, the applications of mason jars fall into two different categories:  chic or tragique.

mason jars

Photo by Maggie Gorman

Chic:  Fun drinks are always chic, and there are so many websites for delicious alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages just begging to be consumed from mason jars. Pinterest also boasts several colorful pages of different mason jar variations such as Mason Jar Meals. Thanks to Wicked Good Cupcakes, a company that gained fame from ABC’S Shark Tank, another rising trend is putting baked goods in the iconic glass jars.  With layers of various flavors of cakes, sprinkles, icing, cookies, ganache, and any other delicious topping you can think of, cake that looks and sounds this delicious is always chic.

mason jars

Photo by Gabby Phi

Tragique:  However, there is a lack of class associated with mason jars when used in certain ways. It may seem novel and fun to eat cupcakes out of a mason jar, but let’s face it:  in the end it’s just a glass container. Don’t tell the bride, but there is nothing elegant about a woman at a wedding holding a mason jar in her hand as she socializes in her gown.  It seems more appropriate (and cliché)  for a guy with a beard wearing a beanie and flannel chilling at his local coffee shop. Although, if it’s killer mason jar recipes you’re looking for, head here.

On that note, all in all, I’d say mason jar use is situational and should be used only when appropriate. Stick to the mason jars with baked goods for now because we all know baked goods are the best, no matter what shape or form.

[divider_1px]

More good stuff here: