You know when you get to the bottom of a jar of jam, jelly, preserves or what have you and you start to cry because you can’t get the last remnants of fruity goodness out for your sad piece of toast? Well weep no longer because I have developed the perfect solution that saves your jam and also works as a phenomenally easy and delicious breakfast.

Basically you just add pancake batter to your leftover jam jar, mix it around a bit, and nuke it in the microwave. The result is a beautifully marbled jar of leftover jam pancakes. Keep in mind that you’ll have to make the pancake batter a lot thicker than normal because the jam that you combine it with will make it too wet otherwise, so if you’re going to grab the Bisquick just make sure you use less milk than the box asks for.

I yielded the following recipe for a relatively small bottle of homemade jam. I suggest if you’ve got one of those big bottles of Smucker’s, you double the recipe.

Blueberry JamCakes

• Prep Time:3 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 minute
  • Total Time:4 minutes
  • Servings:One, maybe two if you have a bigger jar of jam

• 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 small jar of almost empty jam
Photo by Max Faucher

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

GIF by Max Faucher

Add buttermilk and melted butter and mix until just combined.

#SpoonTip: Don’t have buttermilk lying around? Make it yourself

GIF by Max Faucher

Add pancake mixture to the almost empty jar of jam and mix, making sure that you get the precious jam left on the bottom of the jar.

GIF by Max Faucher

Microwave for 1 minute. If you like to watch your food cook in the microwave you’re in for a treat you get to see your beautiful cake rise and poke its head out of the top of the jar.

GIF by Max Faucher

Top with butter and syrup, or don’t, the cake is plenty sweet on its own.

GIF by Max Faucher