About a year ago this dish took my kale virginity. My mom made a slightly different version of it in the hopes to get me to fall in love with kale and it definitely worked. Since then I have tweaked the recipe to accommodate whatever random vegetables I have in my fridge. This is the first time I have ever put Brussels sprouts and broccolini in the mixture. I think it turned out even better than before.

Medium

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

Servings: 2-4

2-3 chicken thighs
1 bag of Trader Joe’s chopped kale
1 bag of Trader Joe’s shredded Brussels sprouts
5-10 broccolini
1 container of Trader Joe’s diced onions, garlic and shallots
1 lemon
1 cup of white wine or chicken broth (Tip: use whatever you have laying around. Water works too.)
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt, pepper and thyme to taste

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
2. Coat a baking dish with olive oil and place the kale on bottom.

Photo by Elizabeth Emery

3. Drizzle olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic and shallots. Then add chicken thighs and brown for about 5 minutes on each side.

Photo by Elizabeth Emery

4. Add broccolini, shredded Brussels sprouts, chicken stock/white wine and lemon juice over the sautéed onions and chicken. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then place on top of kale. (Tip: don’t have broccolini or Brussels sprouts? Use any veggies you have in the fridge. I’ve used broccoli, artichoke hearts and cherry tomatoes.)

Photo by Elizabeth Emery

5. Place thinly sliced lemons on top of the chicken.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.

Photo by Elizabeth Emery

Now that you have a yummy dinner packed with plenty of protein & veggies, pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy.